what to put around a/c unit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LHLawns, Jul 1, 2004.

1. LHLawns

LHLawns LawnSite Member

Customer wants to hide a/c unit from view. Need something that is thick, 4' tall, green year round, shade in am, sun in pm, and in middle tn. Any suggestions?
  2. C&J landscape

C&J landscape LawnSite Member

I have box woods that hide my AC unit from the street. Don't care for them much but they work.
    I see the same box woods surrounding the big green electrical boxes in neighborhood yards as well.
  3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Whatever you decide, don't put anything too close. You should maintain a 12" clearance on all sides if possible.
  4. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Rick is correct about maintaining adequate clearance for air flow on all the vented sides, but leave more space on the side with the access panel. Not all ac repairmen are as small and dainty as we are. (LOL) Boxwood seems to work well with the heat generated and the air flow needs of an ac unit.

Good Luck....

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

photenia, cheap, very fast growers/spreaders
  6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I'm with Bobby....you need height to hide it, we use red tip photenias, and cleyeras.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Around here, we commonly use cone shaped Cedar arbovataes (little trees) and keep then low. Dogwoods are used, as well.
  8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used Dwarf evergreens. The start small, but grow to 3'-4'.
  9. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

My vote goes for Gold Dust Aucuba "if" there isn't too much afternoon sun.
  10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

What about colored pvc lattice screens or wooden latice panels? Then plant low growing annuals, etc. , in front..hidden, unrestricted air flow, and serviceable...jmo