what to put down now?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grass disaster, Jul 6, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

my lawn is looking a little dry this time of year. i also have a small amount of weeds along with some clover.

what should i throw on her? it's been hot here lately in the 80's and quite dry.

the cheaper the better. thanks

2. I am thinking water, it doesn't cost much and if properly applied will, reverse lawn dryness.

The best part is you don't need a license to apply it!!!

3. grass disaster

other than water. maybe something high in nitrogen?

4. B&B

B&B LawnSite Member

H20, healthy lawn, No weeds

5. grass disaster

i don't have an irrigation system so it's not always easy for me to water.

6. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

No water = Dry dead lawn :rolleyes:

7. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Grassmaster:
    there isn't a magic trick to turn your lawn green. Just because it isn't easy doesn't mean there's a better alternative than water. Water thoroughly, not just enough to dampen the surface, let the lawn begin to dry, then water again. If you want a green lawn under the current conditions, you need to do this. Long term, your lawn may need added organic material, aeration, etc.

8. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

I would think we should be asking you grassMASTER. :)

9. johnmatt2004

johnmatt2004 LawnSite Member

if it looks less green throughtout the entire lawn, it is likely heat/drought stress. but if it has patchy browning you may have other problems.

10. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

irrigation doesn't always have to come through a buried sprinkler system. There are quite a few hose bib timers that screw right onto an outside faucet and you just connect a hose and program them. Move the hose(s) when you get home and let the timer run the program in the middle of the night. Adding N will damage a lawn in drought stress, trying to push vegetative growth when not enough water is available. It's 95 here today and the humidity is dry as a bone, the lawns under my influence look dark green and plush taking 3 waterings per week and no fert to them in the past 30 days. I'm advising those here to add one more day as insurance because the transevaporation rate(there's a link on my site) is soaring, but otherwise it's time to just hold the fort.