what to put in truck bed to increase snow traction

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by redmax fan, Dec 29, 2009.

1. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

ive got a ram 2500 4x4 , and im wondering what to put in the bed to increase winter time traction in snow . and how much of it

ive been thinking about around a yard of sand ??

if wondering the truck has a stock from dodge plastic bed liner

would some type stone / pea gravel be better ??

2. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

No plastic bed liner. But I built a steel frame that pieces of Spancrete fit's into (Dense and heavy)

3. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

i have a bed liner ,and use about 6 80lb bag's of sand behind the rear wheels .:)

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You want what ever you use to be in bags it is easy to load and easy to remove no shoveling. Easily adjustable so if you need more add more bags need less remove them.

5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

...and you'll be able to open your tailgate w/o an avalanche of sand or rock.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I had some winter weight on my truck it was a 3000lb block of lead it was a pain because I need a forklift to lift it on and off. I'am thinking about sand bags they are dead weight and once stacked they don't move around much.

My dad has about 2000lbs of contaminated navvy jack it would work and I wouldn't have to buy a yard of sand. Have to find those jute bags they use for sand bags.

7. quackgrass

quackgrass LawnSite Senior Member

If you use the bed of the truck a lot I would suggest putting plate steel down so it doesn't interfere with the cargo.

Do it in pieces small enough to handle.

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Like others have said, use something that is in bags, it will make it much easier to load and unload. I would put what ever it is directly over the rear axle. I would suggest sand.

9. try putting snow in it.

10. zabmasonry

zabmasonry LawnSite Senior Member
    from C. VT

dead bodies :)