What to rent?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tomcl, May 23, 2005.

1. tomcl

tomcl LawnSite Member

I need to put in underground sprinklers in a yard that was "roughed in" with a front end loader--It needs to be leveled and prepared for planting-My question is should I use my carryall/leveler for the prep work or rent a "Harley Rake"? I've never seen a Harley Rake work--what exactly do they do and how "unlevel" of ground can they level?

Thanks anyone who can help

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

A Harley Rake will work wonders in any rough area. You are better off to sub-contract with some one that has a Harley and knows how to use it. You will spend twice as much in the long run renting because you will need a bunch of time to learn the machine and the best way to use it for the conditions.

Gene

3. tomcl

tomcl LawnSite Member

There isn't much chance of getting a sub for the job--100 plus miles is the closest harley Rake--I need to get one, but I would like to try one first to see what it will do--Can anyone give me some insight on whats so tough about using one?

Thanks

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Its not "tough" to use a Harley Rake. Like any equipment, there is a learning curve to the little tricks of the trade. If you are planing on buying a rake then you should try one out to determin the size you need for the jobs you plan on useing it for. At least go look at the different equipment to see whats avaiable.

Gene