What to say when they open thry're doors?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hillibilly, Feb 25, 2006.

1. hillibilly

hillibilly LawnSite Member

I have the flyers made, account book ready, and logo done. But I am at a loss to what I should say to people when they open there doors to me. Do I say "Hello. I am the owner of Back to Basics Lawn Care, and I am now acceptting accounts for the 06 season". To me that sounds way to chessy. But if I go up there and wing it I will probably screw up big time. So any suggestions on some opening lines or the such. let me hear them.:)

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Act natural you might screw up on the first few but it will come to you tell em what you do and can offer.

3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

tell em " yesterdy i kud not even spel gras kuter an tuday i is one ." no just kidding .just be professional and tell them who you are and ask if they might give you a moment to explain what you do and how you can help them.

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Hi, I am the owner of Back to basics lawncare. I am out letting people know about my services. (hand them the flyer). When they take it. Thank you.

unless they engage you inconversation, more on.

5. CC Lawncare

CC Lawncare LawnSite Member

6. CC Lawncare

Our areas require Solicitation Permits if you knock on doors and great prospects. You don't need a permit if you are just putting up a doorhanger but otherwise you could be fined.$$$$$$. I don't know if that would be a concern in your area or not.

7. CC Lawncare

OPPS! I meant to say "....greet prospects"

8. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Amazes me very year these guys are getting into the business and dont have a clue to what they are doing. You wouldnt start an operation without knowing what you are operating on would you, ummmmm "NO" So if you are getting into the business with no experience then go work for another lawn care business and learn from them. That's all I have to say about that........

9. hillibilly

hillibilly LawnSite Member

I have worked for another lawn care business the last two years. But I have never had to advertise for myself. The 10 yards I did last year were from people asking ME not me asking them. So I don't have a clue to how to get customers door to door. Oh yeah thanks for the constructive criticism!:rolleyes:

For everybody else thanks!. It is just hard for me to go up and ask these people to cut they're yards for them without knowing what to say. I am sure most of you have been there before, even if you don't admit it.

P.S.-What did I spell wrong?:laugh:

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

First thing to say, is "Hello...How ARE you? I am .. .. ... I will be doing some work in your area this season, and would like to be of service to YOU, too." I WOULDN'T say we will be "accepting accounts" this season. That always sounds too stand-offish. The first thing that pops through a persons mind, is "Oh, gee, LUCKY me...." and when that does go through their minds, it isn't in a sincere way...
    It has to be completely welcoming. YOU have to make the person feel that you feel priveledged to take care of them..that they are appreciated,..even before they are a customer...NOT "if they are lucky, you might take them on". We are a service business,...and we have to cater to customers and potential customers. You HAVE to sneak that foot in the door so you can have a few words.....if you say it like "we'll be accepting accounts this season", you have already put a limit on yourself, because it sounds like "As opposed to what?" NOT accepting accounts? THAT's not very warm or friendly for a business...If you don't have the capacity, Fine...I'll find someone who does...someone who is MORE than willing to take on me, my neighbor, and my freind in the next neighborhood over.
    When you do this, you're not only not putting your foot in the door, being warm enough to get to the next level with the next p/c (potential customer), but you are taking steps backward off their porch as you're talking and essentially helping them close the door on you.
    I hope this advice helps you.