what to spend $5000.000 on? Question inside also

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jdmartell, Jan 16, 2013.

1. jdmartell

jdmartell LawnSite Member

I've been doing lawns/ landscaping for the past 4 years since i was 13.

Now that i'm 17 i'm starting to want to grow this into an actual legitimate business.

Getting insurance, tax number, registering the business ect.

How do I go about paying myself?

My father and I are renovating a house to flip over the winter and my cut from it is $5000.00 so thats the "start up" money that i have.

I already have the following stuff that is in my signature

I am going to upgrade the blower this upcoming season to a Back Pack.

I am also thinking of getting a Chainsaw. What size would be a good starter size?

also a small 6x10 dump trailer, would it be worth it to blow half the money on one of them? i know i could get a used one for around 2500 and fix it up myself. would the dakota be able to tow it?

also if i register myself as a sole proprietor do i need workman's comp is i have 1 employee?

Anyone know of a cheap insurance agency in Canada? :canadaflag:

2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Well you have to know, what are you majorly going to focus on the most? Mowing and Maintanence, or landscaping (planting and such), tree-work? That can be a deciding factor on what you should spend your money on. Let us know

3. jdmartell

It will be mostly landscaping/hardscaping and maintenance, I have little experience with tree work. Any tree work that I would get I would sub out.

Also how do you guys sub jobs out? get the tree guys to quote you on the job then give yourself a markup from the tree guys quote and give that price to the client? then the tree guy charges you?

4. flyingdutch16

flyingdutch16 LawnSite Senior Member

If you subbing out tree work, why waste money on a chain saw?
    Spend some money on advertising as well and simply save money too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

If you've only got 5k I wouldn't be trying to start out on both sides of the fence per say, I would focus on either maintenance (1st choice) or design install (Probably not) at your age you have plenty of time to grow and learn. don't try to be a overnight sensation, realize it will take years upon years to grow into something with only a 5k startup. Looks like a BP blower is about the only true upgrade you need, use the rest on operating capitol you'll need it. Take 2500 and stick it in a separate maintenance account.

6. jdmartell

I meant by subbing out the larger jobs, i would do the small trees or brush ect.

7. cpllawncare

We sub out our tree work, and our chainsaw gets used quite a bit.

8. jdmartell

I have done work with pavers, 6x6 timbers and some walls. The only thing that I would really sell would be the timber walls. I've done quite a few of them myself. alsoi have been doing the mulch beds/shrub trimming/ sods ect for the past 3 years. I feel like i'm able to quote those types of jobs to make money but I always feel like somethings left on the table. now that I am going completely legit I need a way of figuring my number more precise.

9. jdmartell

Any more ideas?

10. cpllawncare

subscribe to seans lawnletter he has a lot of good ideas, Personally I would hold take half that money and start a maintenance account and use the other half for operating expenses, and focus on creating some cash flow.