What to spray weeds with

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HazellLawnCare, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. HazellLawnCare

    HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 832

    Ok I will start out by saying that yes I do have my applicators license but I don't have a big sprayer yet. I have picked up some new yards that have a pretty good stand of grass but a few weeds. What should I spray on the yard? I'm wanting to just do some spot spraying with a backpack now until I have a full blown spray rig next spring.
  2. What weed are to going after?

    Most Broad leaf weeds can be controlled with a typical 3-way, Trimec 992, Trimec 899, Lesco 3-way, Triplet to name a few.

    Difficult to control weeds like violets or clovers can be controlled with a "Premium" product, Momentum, Confront, SpeedZone are good examples.

    Some grassy weeds, like Crabgrass or Dallisgrass can be controlled with Drive 75, Acclaim, or MSMA. Be sure to read the label regarding air temperature limits and growth stage treatment windows.

    And there are other weeds like Yellow Nutsedge that require a specialty product to control, like Manage.

    There are some weeds that just can't be controlled.

    So the answer to your question depends on the weeds your going after. If you need a weed identified, take a picture and post it for us to look at.

    Edited for spelling.
  3. HazellLawnCare

    HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 832

    I've been considering Momentum will I have a decent rate of success on most weeds?
  4. In 2002 and 2003 I used Momentum at 1.3 oz/.5 gallon of water/1,000 sqft and some Lesco Spreader Sticker with great results.

    If you have some real tough weeds like violets, come back 2 or 3 weeks later and hit em again.

    I highly recommend that you use the spreader sticker. It will work a lot better.
  5. HazellLawnCare

    HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 832

    Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is the spreader sticker?
  6. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 11,957


    Sorry but I really got to ask. What are the requirement for a Pesticide License in your state???
  7. ArizPestWeed

    ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,457

    Some call it a surfactant or adjuvent
  8. Lesco sells a product called "Spreader-Sticker", you can find the label at...


    When added to a weed control product, it will help keep the product on the target plants. This will give you better control on tough weeds like clover and violets.

    In my experience, I get better control of weeds with 1.2 oz./1000 sqft & spreader sticker, then I get with 1.5 oz/1000 sqft and no sticker.

    Considering the cost of a gallon of sticker and 2 pints treats 100 gallons, it is a worthwhile investment.

    There are similar products from other manufactures that work as well. So if you have no Lesco near you, look around.
  9. 2 man crew

    2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 403

    This could be a problem!
  10. HazellLawnCare

    HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 832

    Sorry now that I think about it I realize what it is. I originally thought why in the world would I want to put something in my Lesco spreader if I am spraying it with a backpack sprayer. Sorry guys it was an honest brain fart.

Share This Page