What to stock

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Schrock Lawns, Nov 16, 2013.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I love the 3500

Not really into the 5000 just yet
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Curious thing about those PGPs on the poorest supplies, is that some inner bearing seal looks like it is affected by water pressure in a reverse fashion. Feed it only 25 psi (remember that these heads were originally spec'd to run at 20 psi) and you can see a definite dripping from the drain hole on the turret, even if everything else is perfecto.

3. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Somewhere in this thread someone stated using a locator to verify the cable and gas line... I'm confused can you use a 521 locator to find a gas line? (This might be a very stupid question, I'm aware)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Wet_Boots

A plastic gas line has a locating wire buried with it.

5. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had no idea but that makes sense
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you licensed? 14 year old with a license would definitively be a record in my book.

7. Schrock Lawns

Schrock Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I need to change my sig I'm 15 and it's essentially my dads company till I'm 18 but he is getting his license
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Wet_Boots

Start 'em early :)

9. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

can't believe this hasn't been asked yet…are you going to use poly or pvc? i have a bunch of each, when i install it's pvc mainline up to the valves, then poly after the valve…also, i rarely come across a system that is 1.5"-2"…90% of the stuff we do is 1", so i stock much more of that size…my supply box goes like this:

row 1: 1"
    90's
    45's
    T's
    1/2" threaded T
    3/4 threaded T
    couplings to joining two pipes
    slip fix
    and prob 3 or 4 more fittings

row 2:
    same as row 1, but in 3/4"

row 3:
    parts for poly and pvc
    risers
    funny pipe elbows (1/2 and 3/4")
    1/2" plugs
    3/4" plugs
    1/2 and 3/4" threaded couplers

row 4:
    1" poly fittings
    coupler
    elbow
    T
    barbed T
    poly rings

then in the back of the box i have a bunch of heads, mainly pgp's and pro sprays

PGP vs Any other rotor…this is a popular argument, but i would say the PGP wins the popularity contest hands down…i would also say the rain bird is probably the better head…but around me, it's all hunter with very few rain bird rotors, so i stock and install PGP's…plus it's a service call if one needs to be replaced…i do keep a few rain birds the that occasional system…I-20's are nice heads, but like someone else said, you will be outbid and you need a certain amount of pressure to pop them all up, and a lot of times residentials don't have that

the other debate is spray nozzles: fixed or adjustable?
    i like both…adjustable is much much easier to supply for

i think mainstreaming your set up is important, i.e. stocking mostly one brand…it's a pain to try to have every single brand, then you have 8 nozzles for yet another brand to organize and make space for…if i run into a part i do not have, like an irritrol valve that had a bad solenoid, i simply order it…my guy brings me parts either same day or next day so it works out very well...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  10. Schrock Lawns

Schrock Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I use pvc some people around here use poly it's really opinion here it hardly freezes.
    Posted via Mobile Device