1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what to study??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by The Curious Porpoise, Sep 27, 2005.

1. The Curious Porpoise

The Curious Porpoise LawnSite Member

i'm in college right now, and my major is business administration (becuase of my lawncare business)... if i want to continue on in this "green industry" what other majors should i consider in addition or in place of my current major----business admin.? for instance, i remember some one in this forum mentioned they were studying horticulture...
  2. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Study turf Management ... you got rutgers down there, penn state and smaller schools such as Delhi in NYS. Go to shcool to learn about the green industry as well as business side. good luck
  3. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to expand into other fields of the green industry, horticulture is an excellent subject to pursue. There are many aspects of the horticulture industry from propagation to planting and maintenance. Never hurts to learn about diseases and pests while you are at it. Rutgers has great programs in turf and horticulture and the landscape architecture program isn't to bad either. Some of the local schools also have horticulture programs to varying degrees and Rutgers also offers professional education classes during the winter for those looking to further their businesses.

4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Some schools have an entrepreneur degree. You might check that out and include some of those classes as an elective if you go after the horticulture degree.
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ya, just think, my friend went to rutgers, graduated, got a job on a golf course making chicken scratch, and now cuts grass for a living. great advice
  6. The Curious Porpoise

The Curious Porpoise LawnSite Member

hmmmmmmm, don't know what to make of this... i think of this statement... i think going to college is far better advice than don't go to college at all... ahhhhhhhhhhh but then again it's not like time and time again in studies it's been proven that the level of education a person receives is directly related to his income....
  7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

He has a college degree that no one can take away.
    With that degree he can get a job faster that a high school degree and paying more than a high school degree. He can get into managing the golf course or other areas making more money than the chicken scratch as you describe it. He can go a long way in this world with that degree if he wants to or he can stay where he is at. It is a personal choice what you do with a college degree.

If that is what makes him happy with his degree then great.
  8. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Your business courses will keep you plenty busy.... if you can take some courses geared specifically towards "small business marketing" - also a plus. But don't be afraid to branch out and test the waters outside the industry/business. For example...psychology, philosophy, english, etc... If for nothing else these courses will help develop your mind, teach you how to think and how to master the english language which will serve you no matter what you choose after graduation.