1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to use for fire ants

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fireman649, Jun 4, 2006.

1. fireman649

fireman649 LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I was wondering what product I should use on my own lawn to control fire ants, I have a mixture of Floratam(front yard and some in back) and Bahia(back yard). I live in Southern Florida. My son loves to play outside, but he is getting bit up. Right now I have someone spraying Talstar, but within a month, the ants are back. Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. B&B

B&B LawnSite Member

I use talstar on all the yards I treat. I will drench each mound then blanket spray entire yard. works for about 3 months.
  3. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

ask you pest guy to apply pro choice
  4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd use water to put a fire out , is this different ?
  5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

im not from the south and THANK GOD i dont have them.. but a product i use called ORTHENE, is labled for fire ants, don't know if this helps you but this stuff works wonders on all the insects that i treat for up here. and it's pretty inexpensive for the results i get. you might try their web sit if interested www.valent.com
  6. Shawninfl

Shawninfl LawnSite Member

I have read that you can use corn meal to kill fire ants, or any type of ants. They eat it and it does the same for ants as alka-seltzer does to seagulls, it swells their bellies and they blow up.....
  7. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Talstar should work just fine. Make sure it is being applied correctly if not all insecticides will fail. Talstar is my drug of choice on all turf in FL.
  8. GrowinGreeninc

GrowinGreeninc LawnSite Member

Go to nofireants.com and have someone apply topchoice. This will last for 1 year and they will guarantee that. While it is more to do the ants will not reenter for at least one year.
  9. Chris@CRU

Chris@CRU LawnSite Member

Fire ant control in the south is a tremendous effort on the part of the pest control industry. Top Choice is one of the best products that are availible. It contains the same active ingredient, Fipronil, as Termidor termiticide. Top Choice will only control Imported Fire ants, (the red and black ones.) The manufacturer garantees one full year of control. Appliation MUST be made according to the label, and it will take three weeks to achive any results. It works by using the insects social behavior to spread a neurological inhibitor throoughout the colony. Fipronil has many uses, from some of the flea and tick liquid applicators for your pets, to Termidor fo rtermites, to grandular Top Choice for fire ant control. Orhtene, on the other hand is an Organophosphate, same as Dursban and Diazinon, all products of this classification are now phased out and ILLEGAL for any application by anyone other than a homeowner. Commercial applicators cannt legally apply organophosphates to any property, save for thier own. I have personally used all the products refrenced, plus many more and found that the Top Choice is the best choice. After 176 years applying pesticides for Imported fire ants, this is the one product that requires only one application.
  10. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Top Choice has not worked well for many PCOS in FL. It has a hard time in sandy loamy soil. At best you get 3-4 months. Not the best bang for your buck. Hey CHRIS CRU IS AN INSURANCE COMPANY RIGHT.