1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

what to use for grubbing mesquites?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Blyth, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Blyth

Blyth LawnSite Member
    from tx

This is probably going to only be specific to a certain area, but I will ask anyway. Those of you that do it, what attachment do you use on your skid to grub mesquites? I haven't found very much of anything that I thought would work real well.

http://www.treeterminator.com/grubber.htm

This is the only one that I have found that I felt really confident in.. but then again, I haven't used one.. and my exprience is very limited. I am not real sure that it would do the trick.. but I would like information and opinions.

thanks.

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I think a 4-in-1 combo bucket would be money better spent.

3. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Blyth, depends on how big those mesquites are. Some just won't come out (like hackberries). though it's a double step, you might consider shearing them (they shear easy) and look at a blue diamond stump bucket to pop them up. They can have an extensive root system if the soil is deep and you need leverage. Your tooth bucket will get bowed and bent on the bigger trees if they are rooted good.

4. chiroz

chiroz LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Hmmmm, my new hobby, grubbing mesquite. I have been using a stump bucket. It works well. My neighbor shreds them with a skid steer mounted rotary mower then sprays Remedy/diesel on the stump. Many around here shear them and immediately spray the stump with the aforementioned mix.

I saw an interesting attachment called Grub-n-Rake made by Dan Moran of Dans Machine and welding in Brady TX. I would post the link but I cannot get it to work. On his web site he has a video of the machine grubbing mesquite and cedar (juniper). Basically the machine is a huge rake (not root grapple rake) with a grubber that hydraulically moves into position when needed. It then uses the bucket tilt to pop out the trees about 8" below the ground. When not in use the grubber folds out of the way allowing for use of the rake.

You may want to also check out Brush Busters http://texnat.tamu.edu/BrushBusters/index.htm for info on getting rid of mesquite.

One other thing I use is my root grapple. I modified the grapple with a "v" shaped piece of steel plate welded between the two center tines of my root grapple.... kind of like a double gusset that meets in the shape of a "v". It gives my root grapple some bite bellow ground and I can pop out the trees and continuing on with use of my grapple. I works fairly well.

Central Texas has a nice supply of mesquite to experiment on.

5. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

the excavator method is my personal fav but that's a lot to haul for some jobs.

6. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Could you post some pictures????:usflag:

7. chiroz

chiroz LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. The link is http://www.dansmachineandwelding.com/catalog/item/3018771/2542576.htm However, I have not been able to get it to work for about a week. The machine is called Grub-N-Rake.

8. chiroz

chiroz LawnSite Member
    from Texas

9. chiroz

chiroz LawnSite Member
    from Texas

10. Blyth

Blyth LawnSite Member
    from tx

chiroz.. where are you from.. I am in Brownwood..and I am only about an hour from Brady.