What to use for spot spraying in beds?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Gbug, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Gbug

Gbug LawnSite Member

What herbicide could I use to kill weeds in beds that won't kill flowers and shrubs that are near? I'm looking for something that would be readily available at a hardware store. Thanks guys
  2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

it isn't like round up though because it doesn't translocate to the roots. i usually go back and a second time and spray them. have had good success with it. it is safe for pets and children to be around even though i don't know why they would be rolling around in the mulch beds.
  3. Dr Green

Dr Green LawnSite Member

2 products

Ornamec --PBI Grodon

Fusilade--- Mostly grassy type weeds

might mix a bit of pre emergent too like

These will help keep pressure down after you spray
  4. CLC03

CLC03 LawnSite Member

I had a first today, a lady asked me to give her a bid for the following:
    1) weeding her flower beds/landscaping once per week during growing season
    2) trimming/pruning flowers after they have bloomed
    3) Fall clean-up of beds/landscaping

She wouldn't take no for an answer so I told her I would measure her landscaping and mail her an estimate. How much should I charge? There is about 8,100 square feet of landscaping. I am sure money is not a big issue with this customer, and this job may lead to other work. Should I take this on? I am thinking, "if I put down a good pre-emergent, the weed pulling should be minimal". The worst part would be the fall clean-up. Thoughts?
  5. Gbug

Gbug LawnSite Member

Thanks Ill check it out
  6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I do exactly this type of work all the time for clients. Charge it time and materials. Once it's cleaned out, the weekly maint. will probably only take an hour to an hour and a half.