What to use for ticks, fleas, grubs?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by shovelracer, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

they reproduce very fast so normally you would have to do more than one app

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Regular apps are necessary to nmake sure you stay (mostly) tick free. And yes, it will only kill the ones in ther yard. i trat my yard and my dauhter brought one home last week from my sister's place. We think she might have Lymes disease. Taking her to the doctor tomorrow. Not even 2 years old yet...

3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Just in case anyone who lives near ticks doesn't know. there is a shot that you can get that will prevent you from getting lymes if you do get bitten. It only works before though, not if you already have it. Good insurance for people in our line of work.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

so if everyone is using talstar for ticks and it says to go at the high rate of 200 lbs per acre and that is the max for the year u r allowed to apply per season what do u do for the rest of the year? if the customer wants 4 apps per season?

5. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

It used to be a 3 shot treatment, not sure if it has changed. The first shot made me feel like crap so I decided not to have the last 2. A better insurance for me is to have DEET in the truck at all times in case you need to go for a walk in the brush.

I do know a lot of people that have had it, it is getting bad.

6. Daryl Skorupa

Daryl Skorupa LawnSite Member

Is Talstar harmful to pets? What kind of precautions should we take?

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's on the label.....

8. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

lol, my thoughts exactly!

when in doubt, read the label

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i did read the lable and like i said 1 app at the high rate is all that is alowed per season then what do i do?

10. ccash

ccash Banned

Well said you are correct, But if you sell them a fire ant treatment you can use top choice and it will also give the best control for fleas and ticks.