What to use in the shade on a bermuda lawn?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mitsuman47, Mar 24, 2004.

1. mitsuman47

mitsuman47 LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about renovating my yard and using bermuda, but I have 2 large (LARGE) oak trees in the front yard. I'm ~99% sure bermuda won't grow there. What type of grass can I use in the shade that will look like bermuda? I'm in east Texas, borderline zones 7 & 8.

2. topher924

topher924 LawnSite Member

how about zorzia

3. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

Zoysia may do ok. It is more shade tolerant than bermuda certainly.

If zoysia will work then go for it. Zoysia will take the same care program as your bermuda.

I've used tall fescue in my shade and it works well with my bermuda but it's literally like having a completely separate lawn to care for and that is a real pain.

See if you can get a single strip of zoysia sod and put it in your shade to see how it does first.

4. mitsuman47

Thanks for the help.

I'm just wanting to make sure I get something that is the same blade size/color so it doesn't look bad.

Will zoysia overtake the berm after a while?

What brand and "type" of zoysia do you guys recommend?

Thanks again for the help.

5. BermudaRectangle

BermudaRectangle LawnSite Member

I'm not an expert, but I had "Zoysia" on my Missouri lawn sharing turf space with "Kentucky Blue".

Obvious characteristic was the late greening, early browning with the change of season.

Now with my Bermuda Texas lawn, it seemed to match the same greening/browning cycle.

Zoysia won't crowd out your Bermuda (more like the other way around), but since the Bermuda doesn't do well in shade, they can live harmoniously.

I'm using fescue on the shady areas right now. It's not in a highly visible area of the house, so I don't mind the solid green patch that lingers long after the Bermuda has turned brown...

6. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

BermudaRectangle....

Love the username. Very clever and cool. :)

7. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

St. Augustine works wonders in shady areas.

8. goforgreen2

goforgreen2 LawnSite Member

Depends on type of Augustine. There are some that handle shade and are typically low growing but will not match well with burmuda.

9. mitsuman47

Thanks again for the help.

How much should I expect to pay for a pallet of St. A.?
    How many yards of grass is on a pallet?

I'm not looking for 100% accurate numbers...just ballpark.

10. soilsample

soilsample LawnSite Member

Mitsuman47

I live in SW Louisiana.... there is a sod farm here. Last spring the prices were around $100-120 per pallot of sod if you pick it up on your trailer.

If memory serves me correctly... one pallot covers 400-500 sq ft.

PM me if you need contact info for sod farm.