What to use to aerate a 4 acre parcel

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Easy, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Easy

Easy LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I have a customer, new for me, that wants his 4 acre lot thatched and aerated. My problem is the aerator sizes. The only ones I can find to rent are 24 inch, or 5 foot. The 5 footer is over kill, pulls 12" plugs, weighs in at 750 pounds, and would destroy the drainage system in the field as it is shallow.
    I am thinking of buying a 48 inch tow behind model that pulls 3" plugs. Anyone have any suggestions/experience with one of these, as walking behind the 24 inch is a bit much.
    Any comments or suggestions????
    Don

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 92" that I pull behind my tractor...it only pulls 3-5" core. I don't think Ive ever seen an aerator that pulls 12" cores....

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Might want to recheck the specs on the 5' aerator. 12" Did a skinny white guy measure it? My 6' aerators will pull a max of 4" and it has to be real wet.

4. Easy

Easy LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

What do you pull such large aerators with?
    I looked at this unit, and the knives were about 12-14 inches long. It had 15 inch truck wheels and tires, and was huge. (the guy said it weighed 750 pounds) I would imagine the dampness of the soil would determine how deep the cores were, but, the knives were 12-14 inches long, and with 750 pounds on them......
    I wouldn't want it run over my drainage system.
    A 3-4 inch core would be fine for what I am doing.
    I ended up purchasing a Swisher 48 inch tow behind, and it worked fine.
    I just wondered if anyone else ran into this same problem.
    Don

5. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

6. MarcSmith

I have a Ryan. but I'm looking for 3pt mount. something smaller.

I pull it with a 30ph JD tractor.

I'm looking to sell if anyone is interested.

product.jpg

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Marc, I don't need another aerator but I buy and sell them fairly often. What's one like that worth? I have seen a few older ones of that type but never bought one. I buy them at city auctions and sell them in Tri Ad type newspapers. They are heavy to haul and I only buy them if I am trying to make a load for my trailer. I have pics of the latest two in my messy shop in the pictures thread. I make pretty good money on them and the new owners think they are getting a good deal too.

If I was to use them I would use my 1520 Ford compact tractor. I do have a couple for the front of my Steiners too but they are only about 4' wide.

8. MarcSmith

I think New they go for about 3-4K....Id love to get 1K for mine....Its a little dirty but it works 100% no leaks on the hand jack, and all the tines spin easily....

Since we lost one of our natural fields to synthetic I really don't need something that big any more....