What to use to control chiggers?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Fred Garvin, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin LawnSite Member

I have a customer that has what I believe to be an infestation of chiggers in her yard. She says she gets lots of bites that itch when she spends time in the yard. She wants to know what to apply to control them.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

2. zebkedic

zebkedic LawnSite Member

Scotts Summerguard will help this

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

4. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I printed some of it off and I'll pass it on the customer.

5. Fertboy

Fertboy LawnSite Member

I live out in the sticks, and chiggers are horrible . What kind of landscape does this customer have?

The only place I pick up chiggers are where grass is tall, about a foot or taller. Since they are a parasite they seek areas that foliage is tall so that they can hitch a ride on a host in my area deer,fox,coons and humans.

They also for some reason seem to hide out in areas that are sunny.Heat maybe?

I spray Sevin along my woodline from the ground up to about 4ft, it knocks out chiggers and ticks. You can also spray it on turf,but I have never picked them up in my lawn only tall brush.

Chiggers are listed on the label for sevin, and it's labeled as safe for ornamentals, and turf.

Works for me

Ed