1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to use to cut tall grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mac B., May 8, 2005.

1. Mac B.

Mac B. LawnSite Member

I have got to cut a job that has 2' tall grass. Do you think it would be better to cut with my Kubota B2710 tractor with mid mower or my 757 John Deere. The tractor is 27 hp diesel. I was wondering which would have the less strain on it.

2. grasshopperslc

grasshopperslc LawnSite Member

I'm sorry I'v never seen that Kubota model so I'm not sure :confused: .But you said it has a 27hp diesel??Than I would go with Kubota because of the torque.Now I herd that the john deere's are tough.But it doesn't have the torque that the tractor has. :waving:
  3. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I signed on an account this week that had not been mowed yet, about six weeks into this season. It was tall enough that I had to make several stops to pick things up that I missed on the walk through. One time I took notice that the un-cut grass was as tall as the rear tire of my JD 757 in some places. I had to creep through it with the deck all the way up (5.5") and then creep through it again at 3.25". It had enough power to handle the job as long as I went slow and kept the chute up. I sure wish I would have had a Kabota like that to use though. I wouldn't have had to think twice about which I would have used. May have used the Kabota first and then finished with the JD.
  4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i would of never cut the lawn down from 2' to 3.25'' in one day. i would of gone down to 5'' then 4'' to 3'' in 1-2 weeks.
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Go rent a Brush hog for your kubota. 2' if going to tear up the MMM. Done a similar job that way. (other than I already own a brush hog) Should cost you about $50 to rent a 5' model for 4 hours. Then run it over again with the JD 575
  6. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

In this instance, I had no choice. This account started out as a one time cut. Apparently they were impressed with the results enough to sign on for the year. I only wish I had a bagger so I could have cleaned it up better. The clippings did cut up small enough and spread out enough to be even and allow for a decent look. Much better than it did to begin with!
  7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I say use the right equipment for the right job. You're just going to tear up a good mower on that job. Get a bush hog for your tractor, or maybe rent one.
  8. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

put MEG MO blades on and twice over very little grass showing on turf.
  9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Just use ya tractor mate. Put deck on highest or second highest setting and go for it. Just go slow and let it dispurse as well as it can with shield up. Then recut one or 2 settings lower and leave it. I wouldnt cut any lower than that considering how long it was. Try and do it while its very dry if possible!
    Cut it down to size over a couple of weeks is better than hacking at it in one day if possible!

Just do it like Sprouls said and itll be fine!

Heres a series of pics to show that a little tractor with MM can do it. And yours has more HP and a better deck!

JD cuttin.JPG
  10. Mac B.

Mac B. LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info guys. I have been wanting a bushhog for a while now anyway. I thought maybe that the 757 would have cut better due to the blade tip speed over the tractor.