1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to use to keep hedge trimmer blades clean

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GG Green, May 15, 2007.

1. GG Green

GG Green LawnSite Member

I have 2 Echo hedge trimmers and was wondering what to use to keep the blades clean? I noticed when trimming the hedges and bushes the blades get gummed up. I do oil on regular basis but would like to know how to clean to the nice shiny metal. Any suggestions?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Vinegar, then re-oil. I'm not sure what you are using for oil, but if it is gumming up that bad, you may be using something too heavy. I've heard of many using WD-40, but be careful,...as this stuff is VERY harmful to foliages. Also, because it is so thin, it would have to be done more often. It DOES work, though. Personally, I occasionally wipe ours down with olive oil.
  3. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Fluid Film! That's a perfect application. It contains no solvents so it won't get gummy or sticky or burn greenery. Remains super slick!
  4. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to admit that i use fluid film on my echo hedge trimmer and it works great. I put a good thick coating on it when im done using and even picking it up 2 weeks later, the blades are still nice and lubed and shiney. it has not gummed up on me yet.
  5. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Fluid Film all the way!!!
  6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Fluid Film.. I spray it on everytime I use them and after..
  7. GG Green

GG Green LawnSite Member

Can you tell me where I can find this product.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Fluid film works,after all the post about film you are asking.
  9. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just go to our website at www.eurekafluidfilm.com and look under "How Do I Get It?" We have a dealer locator as well as a listing of online dealers. Mowpart.com sells Fluid Film online and offers very good pricing and great customer service.
  10. GG Green

GG Green LawnSite Member

Thank you kindly.....much appreciated......