What to use to kill fleas?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Humbertslawncare, May 2, 2011.

1. Humbertslawncare

Humbertslawncare LawnSite Member
    from SC

Hello, I need to know what is the best spray to kill fleas in my yard. I have a few dogs and fleas are getting bad and I want to know if there is something that I can buy that will work good. I have used once in done from Lowes, but I am looking to purchase a larger quantity that a quart. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance Lawn Site friends.

2. stumpman

stumpman LawnSite Member

You can spray Sevin XLR or Crosscheck. Crosscheck is cheaper to use than Sevin. You can get Crosscheck at John Deere Landscape.

3. Humbertslawncare

from SC

Thanks man, I will get some of that today.

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Sevin can no longer be used as a general application in residential areas. Only as a "spot treatment", which makes it useless for fleas.

5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Yea, that's true for trained professionals, but a homeowner can do what ever he wants. :dizzy::hammerhead:

6. greendoctor

Sevin is hard to get and the last time I saw it in Walmart, all lawn usages were removed from the label. I know there is Sevin granules, but that makes a better grub treatment than a surface and nuisance pest treatment. Apparently, the issue is possible human exposure to a liquid formulation. I read this in the RED for carbaryl.

7. Humbertslawncare

from SC

Thanks guys for all of the answers. Just one more question, would granules be better than liquid spray?

8. greendoctor

If you can, use a liquid spray applied at a volume and pressure to penetrate into bushes and past the leaf canopy of grass. In most cases, that means 5 gallons per 1000 or more with some pressure behind it.