1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what to use to tow my 48" core aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Jan 11, 2001.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

last fall i used my 250 cc 4x2 timber wolf atv to tow my aerator and the unit got to hot.i think i have to re-think how i am going to do this next spring..
    what do you guys use to tow yours?
    maybe a larger unit would work?
    i like the idea useing a 4 wheeler.
    thanks anthony
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Do a search on this topic. I used a Gator last year. If you don't want to buy another piece of equipment, rent one for the day.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What do you mow with? I use a tractor to pull 60", but often, I will use a Lazer - works great.
  4. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

I do not mow, but a lazer would work.
  5. Turfdoctor

Turfdoctor LawnSite Member

I use a Suzuki quad to pull a my Lesco 42 inch. I put an additional 300 lbs on it when dry. The 500cc does great. Turning radius sucks, but I can do almost any slope! Overheating was not a problem. It is liquid cooled.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

This is the only time I would advise you to buy a non commercial mower.. Buy a cheap 18hp mtd style mower with a shot deck and use it to pull the aerator. The motors on these things usually outlast the decks by years and you can buy them quite cheap. I'm looking for one to convert into a powered wheel barrow and to pull a ball diamond drag.
  8. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Once you've towed your 48" aerator behind a Dixie Chopper, your life will never be the same. It won't hurt the wheel motors at all, and you have all that speed. You can easily back into tight spots. But if you don't have a Dixie Chopper, your out of luck. Give it a try.
  9. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Instead of getting the junk MTD mower, find a REAl garden tractor to pull with. An old Wheel Horse, IH Cub Cadet, JD or Case will last you a longer time and have a better rear end to do the work with.