what to use to treat grubs in Aug

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Drivefaster35, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hey guys I have a few lawns with grubs I have checked the lawns and they are active in the turf and I have never treated grubs before as I have said before on here I'm new to fertilizing and what not but I am Licensed and just need some advice on what products work best any help or suggestions would be awsome Thanks :drinkup:

2. jose85

jose85 LawnSite Member

Merit lesco brad it cost around 65 bucks ... it better then the mach 2 they sell which is only like 30 bucks

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

probably to late to use Merit this year. you need to use a contact pesticide to get a quick kill on the grubs, Dylox is the the best choice after you see grub activity.

4. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

not to late for merit, but is going to work slowly as is a systemic. dylox will work faster as is a contact , make sure you water in.

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I'm guessing Dylox is a broad spectrum killer? Basically whatever it comes in contact with, good, bad, indifferent?

6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

its going to takeup to 5 weeks for merit to kick in...dylox

7. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Its past the time for Merit. Dylox is your only choice that I am aware of. Control can be as low as 50% if the grubs are on the bigger side. I had a couple lawns that I had to treat twice. I liked Dursban when it was on the market.

8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Dylox. You can try Merit and water it in immediately, but it might not do anything to this round of grubs. Dylox for active infestations. And yes, it is a broad spectrum insecticide. Only labeled for a few critters, but it is an organophosphate like Dursban, so it is pretty toxic to just about anything with a nervous system. Water it in immediately. It breaks down under sunlight.

9. Dr Green

Dr Green LawnSite Member

Dylox is the choice here as stated earlier.

One thing to add. In the Northeast we have 4-5 different species of grub found around here. Each one is on pretty much the same basic yearly schedule as far as molting, hatch, flight and so on.

Each species (oriental, japenese, european chafers, asiatic garden beetle etc..) are all a few days to weeks apart when they hatch.

For this reason, I have seen dylox applied to a site properly, watered in, and be very affective for a species of grubs. Dylox has no residual value, so 3 weeks later another species of a later grub gets going and you think the dylox doesnt work. It actually did work when you put it down, but now we are looking at different grubs.

For this reason, Merit applied correctly and watered in is still the best approach to grub control. Timing other products is risky, and futile at best.

Sevin is labeled for grubs, but tends to get hung up in thatch and not get to where the grubs are, and is pretty indiscriminate about what it kills. Earthworms etc....

Water in about 30-45 minutes is pretty crucial..

10. kilpatrickshrub&turf

kilpatrickshrub&turf LawnSite Member

merit, dylox, water them in.