What to use? ---Trailer sides

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lech615, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

I have an open trailer and right now it has 8 or so inch high sides. I want to extend the sides up to about 2 feet. What are the different materials I could use. The obvious is plywood of some sort, but I would like to maybe use a metal material, but not one I need to weld. (no acces to a welder) Any help is greatly appreciated. My main concern is appearance, that is why I am trying to avoid plywood.

Thanks, Carl

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

u could use expanded metal it looks great and works great. it would be inexpensive to take it to a welder to have put on.

3. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

We took a 6 1/2' x 12' trailer and welded U channel on top on the existing rail, on the corners about 36" high, then when we need the sides higher we slide 1"x 8"x 12' long boards in and that extends the sides about as high as the tailgate of the trailer. when we don't need the sides we take them off and stack them in a pile on the side of the shop. This was a good idea for us so that we could have a regular trailer but also a larger trailer if needed. Believe it or not the trailer with the sides can hold about 11 yards of mulch. Plus by being able to take the sides off, as the trailer gets emptier you remove the boards so you don't have to shovel the mulch over a big wall. Also reduces weight off of the trailer when you don't need it.

4. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

I am really trying to stay away from welding. Any suggestions?

Although the removable sides sound like a neat idea.

5. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

If I remember correctly I had purchased the u channel for about $70.00 and we welded it in our shop it took about 2 hrs. I would think that if you had a welder guy do it for you they should probably charge $40.00 hr. to weld it so for about $150.00 plus lumber you should be able to do it cost effective, not to mention that it would be a good selling point if you ever sold the trailer. the lumber we obtained from an "inside" source (if ya know what I mean)