what to use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PRECISION LC, Jan 11, 2002.

?

Which mower shall i use?

1. 48" w/b

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. 52" walker

18 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. PRECISION LC

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

I picked up a new contract for this up-comming year and began to think about it. It is a 5 acre commons area that has a creek running down the middle, there are also open flat areas but mainly, sloped rough terrain. I'm concerned about what mower to use. I have a (1)48"walk-behind or a (2)52"walker.

2. I don't have any experience with those mowers. But I've mowed that size of lawn. I'd guess that to finish the same day you started you'd need both mowers in operation at once.

Dave

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

You should have a trailer big enough for both machines so you can use each one where it will be the most effective. TAKE THEM BOTH!!!

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use to mow a commons with a drainage pond. I also have a 48" WB and Walker (48" GHS). I found that the WB was more stable than the Walker. The sides of the pond were steep and had a sand base. I once got the WB stuck so bad the deck was in the water. I had to disconnect the deck to get unstuck. Later in the season I had bought the Walker and got it sruck so bad I had to call a tow truck to wench me out. I only had about 20 hours on the Walker and it scared the ever loving crap out of me. The next season they did not call me back and I did not call them. Point is, be careful when mowing on slopes! Precision LC, do you already have the 52 mulch deck?

MATT

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If you can only use 1, then you can figure that out by trial and error.

6. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

hey walker talker

How many degrees was that slope you had the scare on I have been contemplating the purchase of the identical machine you almost put in the pond. Just curious of the overall stability and wondered if your extremely satisfied with it or not.
    turfman59

7. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Take Both

Just in case!!!!!!!!!

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Turfman,

I was never good at geometry, but if I would have to guess between 35 and 45. Now that I think about it, maybe I went back to using the WB was because it was lighter and a little easier to control. You have to remember the soil condition was mostly sand (a lot of stickers and that sucks when using a WB). Everytime I mowed around the pond, I would try to get furthur closer to the water. The Walker is a lot heavier and would just slide a lot more on that sand. I have had no problems with the Walker, other than my scare!

MATT

9. PRECISION LC

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

walker talker
    i have already purchased the 52" side discharge, and plan to use it. i also plan to use both mowers but just wanted to know which one would do the job the easiest, and safest.

10. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

PRECISION,
    I have a creekside property as well.

I also have my choice of Walker 52", 48" GHS or eXmark 48 WB.

Although the 48 WB is actually faster of this part of the property, I use the Walker and follow up with a string trimmer for the inaccessable areas.

It depends on how comfortable you are with the Walker whether you can get close enough to finish with a trimmer.

Roger