What to Use?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hazmat2, Jul 25, 2008.

1. hazmat2

hazmat2 LawnSite Member

What do you suggest to use for violets? i've used surge, q4, trimec and nothing kills them. i've heard horsepower but i would like to hear some thoughts on what to use before going out and buying more stuff.

2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Horsepower (amine) would be better than anything you named but the Ester version Coolpower would do better still. Wait for cool weather. The Ester form will break the cuticle. October will find the plant storing energy - mixed with herbicide.

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Chaser ester kiils some of them each time. We get it from UAP.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Its usually used for crabgrass and clover--BUT--Drive is a good product for violets.
    Second choice, Something with triclopyr in it, Or Confront (although not registered for home lawns, anymore). Be sure to include a surfactant.

Remember only the leaves are above ground, weed control doesn't do much to leaves. The main stem is underground--it creeps--very difficult to reach.

5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

What about QuickSilver? I know this stuff requires repeated apps due to it's spreading nature, but have heard QS is pretty good.

6. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

try three way ester II. I know this kills violets. I just recently tried some Q4, first time, we'll see... I've had good results with Turflon ester + Drive, mixed w/ some other broadleaf control ...dicamba, MCPA, or fluroxypyr; 2,4-D etc. If using amine sticker is a must.

timing is also a factor, best results in "cooler" weather.