1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to use?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lilred731, Jun 25, 2003.

1. lilred731

lilred731 LawnSite Member

I did my first mulch job (a big learning experience). And was wondering what type of product do you use before you place the mulch down if you just removed the weeds from the area. Such as Round-Up, Spectracide, and various products like that.:confused:
  2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Nothing, if there are no weeds or grass.
  3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing if you don't have an herbicide license.
  4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

AGLA is correct

on to your question; round up kills plants, not soil. so it will not inhibit future plant grouth. i use my trimmer and take all the vegitation to the ground, then add atleast 5" of mulch (this stops/slows new grouth). then do a monthly service fee on the account. landscape fabric is to expensive to put down, and you would most likly not sell a job if you bid including it, because knowbody else does.
  5. teeca

what do you charge per yard on the installed mulch? just wondering, i charge $50 per yard installed for AA mulch.
  6. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I use Preen. It won't kill anything, it just keeps weeds from germinating. I rarely use fabric anymore.
  7. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Teeca, why are you applying >5" of mulch? You should only have a 2 - 3" layer overall. Over 4" you start getting into trouble.
  8. teeca

fblandscap, what kind of trouble? please advise. i'll take any info you can provide. thanks
  9. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Once you get into the >4" range for mulch you start having problems with insects, water, diseases, etc.
  10. lilred731

lilred731 LawnSite Member

Sorry for the lateness in replying.

teeca - I do not use the fabric at all. I learned long ago that it is not worth the trouble also the weeds well eventually start growing through the fabric.
    I did not know that you had to have a license to use chemicals. Thanks for the info.
    This particular type of mulch I will charge $60 per yard. I have not compared it to any other in the area because I have not looked for any other.

I only put down a half of a yard on this job. So it was not as hard as others.

When applying mulch you must remember that the initial rain showers will cause some of the mulch to run-off or flow out of the bed. This is what I have learned in the past. It is also why some may want to layer the mulch a little thicker at the customers expense.