1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice
  1. Dean Williams

Dean Williams LawnSite Member
    from Pa,MD

I have a chance at doing a townhouse complex right now it has 110 drive ways,about 15' by 25' long.What do you think would be the best way to remove snow a blower will be great because there is not much room to push it.I have JD 425 thought of a blower on it,also seen cubs 45" snowblower,and even maybe goin with a blower for a walk behind. Need some advice.
  2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Rear plow, or skid steer. Snow blowers will atke way to long, plus you will be cooooooooooooold.
  3. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

Definitely a rear plow or backdrag if it doesn't have to be real clean. Stay away from the snowblowers unless you are a masochist...in which case you should just buy a bunch of shovels.
  4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I would go skid steer, over rear plow, gives you one more thing in your bag of tricks. Try to work a deal with rental yards, maybe you can pay a little more, and you can pick up the unit the day before it snows. Or see if you can rent one over the winter, and pay XXX amount of dollars up front and XX amount an hour.

I heard of someone, who gave the rental yard, 1,000.00 up front in the fall, and paid like XX (i think under 50)amount of dollars per hours use for the season. The rental company came out, like once a month to read the hour meter.

5. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

That's a great idea, but it doesn't sound like such a great deal. We rent machines for 250/day (Bobcats). I would expect to do better if we were going back for multiple days.
  6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Well, I can't remember the exact numbers. It just depends on what part of the country you are from, and what you can work for a deal. Also the number of skid steers, the dealer has sitting in there yard, and how hard it is to get them all rented for the winter.

7. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

This has all been great advise except no one bothered to ask you if you know how to run a skidloader? If not, I'm not sure you can be fast enough to get all that done in time or without damage.Skidloaders can be a little tricky on ice or snow.The 425 is out ,even though you can heat them with a cab it will not be near fast enough. My suggestion if you don't know how to run a skidloader well, is to use a short box pickup with a rear blade,maybe even with a regular blade on front.
  8. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

110 Drives? How many cars in the way? How long would that take with a skidloader? How much damage will a skid loader do to all those drives? You are still going to have to do cleanup with a blower or shovel, right? Do you get that deep of snows where you are located to really need a skidloader to move it?

Stay with me here on this,just drives here alone at a resonable 5 minutes a drive is 550 minutes or 9.17 hours. WOW! Get ready for complaints "Why is my drive not done when I leave for work".

Sounds like you will need an arsenal. Not to discourage you, just sounds like alot of work with even alot of employees. Big money though, I hope for you.

9. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

5 minutes to do 15' x 25'??

That's the size of my bedroom.

You can HAND shovel that fast.
  10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

When I was a kid, there was a golf course in a friend's backyard. In recent years, they turned it into a small townhouse development. Not sure of the number of driveways, but it has to be at least 200. It's got a few roads in it too, that are cleared by the contractor who plows it. Because my friend's house has a clear view of a part of the development, and he was my shoveler for a few years, standing in his yard, or looking off his deck we could clearly see the contractor performing snow removal. I haven't seen them do it in a few years, but here's how they used to do it.
    When snow was on the way, or forecasted, a lowboy would show up with 5 little bobcat skid steers on it. They would leave the lowboy on site. Next to it, was a Case 580 size backhoe, and a single axle GMC, like a Top Kick, with a 10' blade. When they cleared the complex, they did it the same every time. Two 2wd crew cabs would show up with operators, and a few shovelers. The skid steers pushed all the snow (or most of it) out into the street, and the "Top Kick" dump would take it away. The dump just kept going around pushing the snow to the sides. They had a pick up, with a straight blade, that would go around and open up driveways that were cleared after each section was done. Then final clean up was done with the skid steers on their way back to the low boy. The system must have worked well, because they did it the same way for the 3 years I watched them do it. It took them about 5 hours to do. I know, because that's how long my route took on average then. When I dropped off my shoveler, they were loading the skid steers onto the lowboy. Most of the time, they did all the plowing at night if possible. That way, no one had to get out. If someone came home, there was always a skid steer near by to open up their driveway for them to get in, and then go back to plowing. The backhoe was used to clean up intersections, and load salt into the dump.

Now with pusher boxes, plows, and V plows, I'm sure it could be done even faster. Back then, they ran the front bucket on the Bobcats. They were (and are) a big landscape company, and this account kept their Bobcats busy when it snowed. Like we all know, a machine that sits all winter, is a waste. They found a way to use most of their equipment all winter long.