What to use?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by spcfoor, Jul 2, 2004.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

Can someone give me a list of product and general information on when and how much to use on a lawn. I am trying to get stared in the business and don't know much about fert , pest, and herb control. Any help would be appreciated.

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

you're probably very sincere and hope that someone will give the answers.

but I got to tell ya, if it were that easy....everybody would be in the business!

best place to start is by working for a reputable firm in your area. listen and learn from them. after, say 4-5 years you might be ready agronomically to break out onto your own.

hey, i'm not trying to be harsh with ya...but your question shows that you need much training before you can (or should) even think about charging someone for your service.

good luck

3. onemancrew

onemancrew LawnSite Member
    from tn. #7

Try www.pbigordon.com and look either alphabetically or by category. Then check out weedalert.com down on left-side of this homepage. This will tell you their recommendations on herbicides, germination dates or the way they spread. A very good source of info, with great products as well.

Todd

4. You can also use the search function of this website to read the treads posted by other new operators.

This forum also has an "elements of business" and "just starting out" sections. I suggest you get a tasty beverage and bring those up and spend some time reading the experiences of these fledgling companies.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I think TSM's advice is the best. It take many years to be Professional in any field. Learning from a pro can help decrease your learning curve.

6. mr scag

mr scag LawnSite Member
    from n e oh

people on this site act like spraying a lawn is rocket science. Got my lics. this past winter, came out smokin this spring and have had very little probs. thus far. Read label, ask people who know the right questions, multi task and get er done! Way more money than mowing and alot less labor

7. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

scag

TSM is still right.
    No you don't need to be a brain surgeon to apply lawn care products.
    Ask any home owner. They seem to know it all.
    But sooner or later YOU will probably get your nuts in a vice with something and then what?
    There are so many fungal problems, so many insect troubles and I don't even know where to start with soils!
    But I guess you know all that already.
    Sometimes customers don't really care where you learned your trade or how much you actually know as long as things look good.......until they don't.
    Then they want answers and solutions and they want it now.
    While you may have passed a test somewhere, that does not make you a real Lawn Care professional.
    You have alot to learn

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mr Scrub

Yes After re-reading your post I must Agree.

9. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

LOL, Ric. I usually ignore people like meester scag. After they screw up, hopefully get reported when they do so, they always come back around with their hats in their hands.....

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Green Dreams

If I ignored people like Mr Scrub, My post count would be 70% less. Many States require little if any experience to sit for a watered down test. With a 007 license in hand they proceed to contaminate the environment with poor applications and get many chemicals taken off the market. Some of these chemical have never been replaced with suitable replacement.

Worst yet are the ones who know the right way, but do it the cheap way for a quick buck. I have only turn in two people in my life. Both had licenses. One of them has posted here on LS and was a friend of mine at one time. In fact I worked under his license at one time. His attitude is the worst. He will go to Walmart and buy a cheap blend of fertilizer then load the best. He buys chemical in garage sales or in one case a nursery that went out of business and he got all of the 20 year old stuff. I actually didn't turn him in. He came to me for Labels because he needed them for the inspector after being turn in by a home owner. I gave him the wrong label on propose, in hopes that a stiff fine would straight his act. BTW at the time he was certified and I was not, so he should of known better. Yes the wrong label sure helped the inspector make the right decision on fining him, but was not the sole factor.