1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to you do with worthless Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorty7616, Mar 25, 2004.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

I have several pieces of worthless equipment...All could be salvaged by someone that wanted to....ANy suggestions? What does everyone else do? Any auctions you can sell non-running equip.?
  2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure, I always sell the equipment cheap to some new guy starting out when I know it doesn't have much life left in it. I figure it's better to get something for it, then to get stuck with junk.

Every once in awhile I will end up with a junk trimmer, or something small. I take it to a used mower shop and let them have it for parts. I don't ask for nothing, I just give it to them, I am glad they are taking it off my hands.
  3. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

I take my 'unwanted' equipment to this old retired guy I know. He can either salvage parts or fix it and sell it at a flea market. I had 3 b/p blowers that all ran, but were on the small side. I asked him to sell them for me. I got $300 for all 3 and didn't have to be bothered dealing with the buyers. I'm sure he made money on them too and that's great by me. Ask at your local lawnmower shop if they know anyone who does that. They might.
  4. monkey9197

monkey9197 LawnSite Member
    from NY

sell them on ebay just say the exact condition they are in and sell them as is. u are allowed to
  5. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

Can you mail stuff that even though most of the gas is out of it, still has a gas smell or a little gas in it?
  6. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

if the equipment is WORTHless than how can you sell it?
  7. mjensen

mjensen LawnSite Member

You would be suprised at what you sell on EBAY. If you don't have an account or never sold something on EBAY PM and I can give you some pointers.
  8. monkey9197

monkey9197 LawnSite Member
    from NY

good question i dont think you can just flush it out some how or just get rid of the smell and no one will know
  9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

yes you can mail power equip no problem, all you need to do is drain the tanks and they label the package accorgingly. I have bought blowers and trimmers off ebay with no problems.

I would list any stuff you have and you can start the auction as low as a penny and you would be surprised what people will bid them at. Have them pay for shipping and start the auctions low...you have nothing to lose.
  10. GrassBlaster

GrassBlaster LawnSite Member

I donate it to the school's small engine repair class and get a tax write off.

I bought an old Suzuki Wet Bike at an auction for $500. Tuned it up and ran it for one season til it died. Donated it to the community college motorcycle repair program and got a $1500.00 tax credit.

Helps you...helps them