What Tool Box to use??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dupontcar, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Dupontcar

Dupontcar LawnSite Member

Hello everyone.

I was wondering what most of you are using for tool boxes. I did a search and came up with a few ideas. Some use one in the bed of the pickup behind the cab, others use the ones that mount along the sides of the truck bed. I have seen a few mention plastic tool boxes that lock, that are installed on the A-Frame Tongue of the trailer. This looks interesting in making use of that space. I have found in my searches the diamond plate models, but am curious what plastic ones some may use and how they are working out.

thanks,

David

2. Dupontcar

Dupontcar LawnSite Member

Anyone out there have pro's/con's to different tool box set ups to maxamize space and make getting to your equipment easiest. I am especially interested in tool boxes that mount on the A-Frame of your utility trailer tongue. Can someone post how they are working out for them and where they purchased.

Thank you,

David

3. anteater6788

anteater6788 LawnSite Member

If you are just wanting to carry hand tools the Montezuma Welding CPL toolboxes are the best thing I've used. I have one mounted in our service truck but they are weather resistant so they would also work well on a trailer or in a truck bed. The way they are made all the tools hang on hooks and when the lid closes it locks all the tools into place. You can can even shake one of these boxes upside down and no tools will come loose. I have the small model (they come in three sizes) that holds up to 1" tools and I think it cost about $350 from Northern Tools. [​IMG]

4. suttonsuperduty

suttonsuperduty LawnSite Member
    from NH

One word WEATHERGUARD

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep....that's it. I have a black poly toolbox in the front of my trailer. It is about 30" long by maybe 18" wide, and about 18" deep. I have 2 trays on top for sockets, wrenches, etc. I have to pull out a tray to get to the bottom of it, though. That is where my impact and much other stuff is kept. I also have a 30" steel box under the bed of my truck.
    The cons of the tongue boxes is that they are narrow and deep - this means alot of digging. I think the ultimate way to go (and I was just researching these boxes) is the Weatherguard type that are long. These go right on the side of the trailer. I'm going to go this route next season (winter project). I'm looking at the longest one they have, unfortunately, it isn't available in the aluminum tread brite like I would like. (Model 164 is smaller). I may end up still going with this model, though I was also looking at model 164-5 and 166-3 (biggest). I could build some cool sliding trays for it. Anyway, anytime you can have all your tools laid out (would have to be in and on holders) in front of you, and everything is all visible, it is a great way to go. With a box the size of the large one, I could keep extra fluids, and much of my "milkcrate stuff" such as pruners, trimmer parts, etc. in there. This would free up an incredible amount of space on my trailer.
    Here's the link to the Weatherguard boxes. http://www.knaack.com/content.cfm?page_id=16&subcategory_id=13

6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I use these.......

7. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Well I have to post a different picture 'cause I used the one I wanted to show in another thread.. rediculous.

DLCS likes this.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Now THAT's what I'M talkin' about! That's the way to go. Though those are a bit shorter, you have two. When you have a shallower area, spread out wide like that, everything has easier access. That is functionability at it's purest and simplest form. I must say, it looks good, too! There was someone else who just posted a pic of their trailer the other day that had a box on there like these. The idea of the fuel containers up front is a great idea also. Two reasons; out of the way, and not on the deck to create static electricity. This is what I had in mind. By the way, nice setup!

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

These are some home made boxes that have work real well for us

Mac

10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Out here I saw a guy with a metal drop front Craftsman tool box mounted on his trailer tounge but he had a cover that slipped over it so you couldn't normally see the box. The only way I saw it was when he was actaully getting something out of the drawers of it at a town house complex he was working at.