What tool for defining mulch beds?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by czjmp6, Jun 10, 2004.

1. czjmp6

czjmp6 LawnSite Member

I've just expanded the mulch beds around my house and am curious about the best way to delineate them from the grass. I used a spade to remove a narrow strip of sod between the mulch and grass but either the mulch falls into this area or the grass grows back. What's the best way (I don't want brick) to separate the two? I've got quite a lot of lineal feet to do so I'm curious if there's a tool I can rent to do this.

2. kenp

kenp LawnSite Member
    from SC

Listen, this one is easy to answer. I am a homeowner with three manicured acres. I defined my mulch beds like any of these pros will tell you to do it...rent a bed edger. It is a gasoline-powered machine that you will pull along the outline of the beds. It will define a nice "trough" around the beds which cuts straight down on the outside of the small trench it digs and tapers 45 degrees up into the bed on the inside. They work like magic. No way do you need to do this by hand, and even if you do, you won't match the uniformity and clean lines a bed edger will yield.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Edging is the only real answer wether by hand or machine other than some sort of stone edging or border,or that god awful plastic edging (or some facsimile thereof) that I wouldn't recomend to anyone.

4. czjmp6

czjmp6 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll rent a bed edger this weekend.

If I don't put in any stone edging or border material, what's involved in maintaining a nice looking border? Should I buy a lawn edger and use that, rent a bed edger a couple times a season, use a herbicide, or something else?

Thanks.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Depends on the size or area you are talking about.
    Typically edging by hand (using a spade) twice a year,and trimming with a string trimmer around the beds will keep it looking pretty well.
    If you've got many large beds then a rental would be prefered.