What torque to use for blades

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Stan MI, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

When changing or sharpening blades. What do you torque them to when you re-install. Is it different on different mowers. Just in case, I have a 62" TORO ZTR.

2. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Every mower is different. This is an important item that your manual should address.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

All depends on the manufacturer, wether or not it's a commercial mower or not, etc.
    The manual is the place to look or look to Toro for the answer. Someone here may be able to address your question but what model do you have?

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't have a operators manual you can go here < www.toro.com >
    In the service and support box click on Request operators and parts manual, Have you model number handy and you should be able to down-load one.

5. weekendDIY

weekendDIY LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Is the torque that important? I usually take my blade off and tighten it back up with a regular wrench. Is that bad to do?

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

As mentioned above it depends upon what brand unit you have and how the spindle assembly in made, Consult you owners manual or if you don't have one check with a dealer that sells your brand unit.

7. weekendDIY

weekendDIY LawnSite Member
    from NJ

What I meant is is bad to over tighten? I have a toro and it does tell me the torque to tighten to but I don't have a tourque wrench. The ones I saw in Sears were on the expensive side so I didn't think it was worth it. I just put a regular wrench on it and tigthened it until I couldn't anymore

8. burroughslawnservice

burroughslawnservice LawnSite Member

My SCAG Tiger Cub gets torqued to 75 LB-FT.

9. zgman

zgman LawnSite Member
    from va

1/2 inch drive runs around $70. You don't need to get the professional series. Sears, lowes or home depot will have them for that amount. Scary to think what could happen if a blade comes loose.

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Yes, it's just as bad to overtighten as to undertighten.
    Under tight and the blade could come loose, over tight and you could strip the bolt and the blade could come loose.......................