1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What tree do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Expert Lawns, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I have a customer that would like a single tree planted in her yard. I don't do many trees, usually just mulch installs and bushes/shrubs. She wants it in the middle of her front yard. This is in a neighborhood where the HOA only allows a certain amount of trees per house. She has no trees yet, but does have nice landscaping. I just can't think off the top of my head what kind to install. Any ideas are appreciated. No fruit trees like apple, pear etc. Maybe one that blooms nicely in the spring? Thanks guys
  2. broske

broske LawnSite Member

Dogwoods are nice spring color,crabapples are very nice the floribunda varieties are nice.Kousa dogwood is very nice and bloom alittle bit later late may into june disease resistant too low maintenance except for some pruning.Good luck.
  3. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

What's the desired fully-grown size of this tree? Deiciduous or evergreen??

Japanese tree lilacs are lovely and can be grown as single or multiple trunks. They max out at 25 or so feet.
  4. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

What size is the front yard?
  5. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

I'd go with a non-fruiting Weeping Cherry, or a Cleaveland Pear. The dogwood idea is pretty good too.

Just take a stroll around your local nursery/garden center. I'm sure they will be able to help you pick the right tree for the spot. :)

6. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

How about a Red Bud that will bloom nice purple flowers in the spring, or on the opposite end a Blue Atlas Cedar. Just a thought.
  7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

service berry my favorite
  8. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

thanks guys. i'll take a picture of the yard this week when i mow it. this will give you a better feel for what i'm working with. i'm looking into the ideas you've given so far.
  9. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

how bout a variety of willow...(weeping, curly, red curly).....mimosa????
  10. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Not to start an arguement, but the only place I'd put a willow is along a stram bank. The tree has serious surface roots, holds leaves until after snow is on the ground (in Erie, PA.), attracts aphids, and loses limbs in high wind.