1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What trimmer head are you using?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Buddha92SLC, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Buddha92SLC

Buddha92SLC LawnSite Member

The conventional trimmer head was shot on my used trimmer when I purchased it. I was lured into the Echo rapid loader by my dealer last year when I was starting out and I really can't stand having to reload two small pieces of trimmer line every time it dulls or breaks. Plus having to cut the trimmer line into those pieces was really time consuming. I'm definitely going to go back to a style that has line wound inside and a simple bump will advance more out of the cartridge. I'll probably purchase 2 so I can have one ready to go when the other runs out.

What would you recommend? I've noticed echo carries a bunch of different trimmer heads so I can only imagine how many other companies carry them as well. I'm looking for those who have used them and can make comments about the pro's and con's of each. This will be going on an Echo SRM 210. Looking for something that is the least amount of headaches, and is a lot faster to use than the rapid loader.

2. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I like the standard head that comes with the 210. I like it for the reason that it has 2 channels, one for each line to sit in. Having only one area for the strings sucks. The lines tangle around each other.

Echo also just came out with a new head that is supposed to be even easier to load.
  3. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

Check into the Shindaiwa Speed-Feed head. It's a bump head, but a cinch to reload. And it doesn't use short pieces, the big Speed-Feed head can hold up to 20ft of line. Only takes 30 secs to reload, and there's an adapter to use it on Echo.
  4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i like the standard echo head too. easy and quick to load .
  5. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We're very impressed with the new Echo U-Turn head.
  6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have run the Echo Rapid Loader head ever sence they came out. You can buy packs of precut line. Sounds like you need to change your method of trimming. Some days I can go the whole day on the same 3 lines.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just ask for the standard bump 'n go head for your trimmer.
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use Veri VP70 fully auto heads. No tapping.
  9. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the Echo U-Turn head. It comes with adapters for most brands of trimmers and is very easy to load up.
  10. Buddha92SLC

Buddha92SLC LawnSite Member

I picked up the Echo U-turn yesterday. We will see how it works out. I haven't opened it up to even look at it yet. How much trimmer line can you feed into this thing?