1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what trimmer head do you run??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lance L, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

i have a couple redmax trimmers and love the heads on them but my dealer is only going to start carrying stihl and echo cuz the new redmax rep is a a hole... so i bought a new echo trimmer, i think its a srm261. but i think the echo head sux i dont know if there is a trick to winding it up that i dont know about or what but it gets stuck all the time, i like the engine on it its quieter and seems pretty good but i feel like the string is always to short and it gets stuck alot, was wondering which heads you guys prefer and y?

i have used stihl, redmax, and echo(kinda)

and so far i like the new redmax heads with the metal insert
  2. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Take yer Red Max and put a Stihl head on er. I love my Stihl weed wacker heads. But don't get the head that makes you stick the string in each side and wind the thing in the middle to pull the string in. I would rather have the older style, and have a bunch of string hubs all wound and up ready to go. Take out the empty hub, and slap in the new one.

If that Stihl head wound fit yer Red Max, it just means you need a bigger hammer, lol.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The RedMax 104+ head (black) is my favorite now too.

The Stihl 25-2 heads are very good too.
    I've ran them so long I often still cut the line wrong for the RedMax.

You'll just have to play around to see what fits the Echos because I think most of the Echo guys swear by them. Maybe the RedMax or Stihl heads will fit the Echos.

I do know Stihl and RedMax do not interchange both ways.
    The Stihl head will go on the RedMax, but the RedMax head will not go on the Stihl.
  4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the echo type head is by far my favorite
  5. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

Your RedMax heads will fit on the Echo, they use the same thread.
  6. bodisatvah

bodisatvah LawnSite Member

my echo head gets stuck often! i am starting to get frustrated with it.

anyone no what other heads work with echo that you recommend?

also, should the echo head be wound tight or loose? it seems, either way it gets stuck anyway.
  7. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I use redmax and stihl. I like the stihl autocut heads. The redmax pt104+ pissed me off big time. I put an echomatic pro on my redmax and now I like it.

Thing is also, the redmax trimmer is confusing me if the trimmer is not working right or if the head was the problem. I put the echo head on it and it doesn't vibrate much anymore but still has a whipping sound just like with the redmax head. and the gearhead whines just a little now.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

thats the first thing i do is tell my dealer i will swap my redmax head out for a echo . works for him and me

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

you might want to learn how to wind the string. what i do is take me thumb and place between the 2 pieces and just wrap it tight never a problem .
  10. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

I have always liked the Sthil and Shindaiwa manual heads. The Sthil has a better hook system to hold the string when loading the head.