what truck Do I need?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tony Schardt, Nov 17, 2001.

1. tony Schardt

tony Schardt LawnSite Member

Hello I'm starting a lawn and landscape business next season. I'm only 18 and don't have a whole lot of cash. What would be the perfect start-up truck? I was thinking of a 1/2 ton with a 350 motor.

Tony Schardt

2. Id go with a good used 3/4 ton ,every thing will be more heavy duty than a half ton but just starting out a 1/2 probaley will do awhile. Get a chevy, former gm worker talking

3. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

A 3/4 ton won't work as hard as a half ton pulling the same load, and so, will last longer with fewer break downs. ;)

4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

get a 1 ton, If your gonna have it as a work truck only, buy a ford, if it's gonna be a work/ personnal truck get chevy. Chevy's are much more comfortable to drive around in all the time, but fords have a heavier suspension and hold up better to abuse. Definitly get atleast a 350/351 engine. Better yet if you can find a good 1 ton dump you'll be better of with that. The best start up truck would be a nice used f350 4x4 mason dump with a 460 or a desiel engine maybe a 95'-97'

5. Little green guy

THE supensions on the 99 chevy on are much tougher than before and the frames are now hydroformed and much tougher

6. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

will you be plowing or towing large loads? factor this in, if yes go at least 3/4 ton.