What truck should I get?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by matt25738, Oct 26, 2012.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

nice truck. Diesels were better back then anyway.
  2. tbambersvc

tbambersvc LawnSite Member

Nice truck man those D-Max's are sweet.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

You made a good choice man. Congrats.
  4. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

Nice truck dude
  5. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

good choice, dmaxes tow nice....I have a 96 7.3 powerstroke rated at 215hp and it won't win races for sure, but it is reliable and a gas truck could not tow a mini excavator on a daily basis nor could one of similar years even tow the 6500lb chipper i was towing around on a weekly basis, I used my buddies gas f250 to back up a chipper, and I had to almost put the truck to 2500rpm to just back a chipper up on flat ground, it ended up overheating the transmission and starting on fire because it was under so much stress. my diesel f350 would never do that because it is built to move weight. make sure you put a small tune of efi live in the truck and do a trans go jr. shift kit, and you should get over 20mpg towing. good luck happy towing!
  6. mowcrazy

mowcrazy LawnSite Senior Member

Yippers, you did good!!! Even if you didnt get him to budge on price that was cheaper than I can find around here with that kinda miles. There wanting that much around here with 150k on them.........

Good job!!
  7. mowcrazy

Is your 7.3 a standard or automatic????? I think if my truck was standard it would tow A LOT BETTER. I hate the way my truck shifts. no joke say im take a sweeping turn and it starts up a large hill and im running say 30mph. if i stomp it down at the bottom of the hill it just simply DOES NOT want to go into 2nd gear but will stay in drive and just lug at about 1200 rpms and lose speed and when she gets down around 1000 rpms on the floor it will finally downshift and pull okay. It was like this before and after my tranny rebuild.........
  8. matt25738

matt25738 LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I actually ended up paying $16,800 for it so not as bad. But overall after a day of owning it, I'm pretty pleased. Its going under tow tomorrow with my enclosed, so we'll so how it does.
  9. mowcrazy

report back and let us know how it does!!:weightlifter:
  10. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

After buying my 2008 F450 dually a lot of people gave me hell for buying something so big. I do lots of odd jobs outside of lawn maintenance, and it's been a God send. 6.4 powerstroke Diesel of course. Enough power to haul 3 ton of material in back and pull the 16 foot enclosed landscape trailer.