1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What truck to buy?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by landscapingpoolguy, Jan 16, 2004.

1. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys,

Well business has gotten larger and i have grow out of my half ton pick up with an ez dumper(FOR SALE) and am looking into larger dumps.. I have looked at Isuzu and mitsubishi cab overs and international, ford, and GMC conventional cabs. I have thought about mason dump bodys and grain bodies, and still cant decide what i want and what works best. This is a purchase I want to make and not have to worry about selling the truck for along time. It has to be able to take serious weight do to the fact that i do alot of construction and has to be able to get in and out of small places because i do alot of residential work. Also the truck must be able to tow a backhoe or a trailer fullof Ztrs and such.....Any suggestions would be great.

Also guys im goin beyond One ton trucks so dont get into a ford chevy dodge battle cause i really am goin bigger then that..

Also eventually i will buy a second and i want it to be the same as the first. I want one for grass and one for constrution. i hope you guys see where im goin with this.

Perfect Property Services Inc.
  2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

The only advise I want to give you for this is, dont purchase a truck with the 6 speed tran, they dont hold up for serious towing Personaly I like the Chevy topkicks trucks with the little Cat engine and the Eaton 8sp trans. Should pull a backhoe fine. For heavier weights just get the bigger Cat. I would also try for at least the 22,500lb rear axle. This combo would make your truck almost bullet proof. You can get the same engine+trans+rearend combo with just about all manufacturers, about the only real difference is the sheet metal. I like the inside of the TopKick cab better than the Ford Sterlings and International or Freightliners, the steering wheel doesnt sit up in you face or stick in your stomach.
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If your looking for a single axle dump look at International or if you can fine a L Series Ford. Is this truck going to be under your CDL rule or you going to get a CDL so you can operate a truck with a 35,000lb gvw.

Myself I like L-8000 L-9000 Fords they have a good turning radius if you can find one with L-10 power or 3306 Cat power they do make heavy single axles.

You don't want a grain box they are not heavy enough if your looking for a single axle dump get one with a 12' dump box designed for hauling gravel.

If your looking for a COE truck the old CF Fords were not too bad the Hino's are okay the GMCs were not as good. If I was looking for a single axle dump I would try find a MR series Mack with a single axle or custom make one with a single axle. The MR series have a lower slung cab its easier to get in and out of they are a pretty tough truck.

Good Luck on the truck search
  4. landscapingpoolguy

heres what im looking at right now:

1999 GMC 6500, 7.4L GMC 210 HP, Auto, 12' , Multi Leaf Suspension, 6.5 Ratio, 22.5 Tires, All Steel Wheels, Single Axle, GREEN, Rear Dump, 12 FOOT DUMP WITH DROP SIDES, PINDLE HOOK AND PLUG. They want 18,000.00. Sounds like a good deal to me. What do you guys think?. Im gonna offer em 16,500 and see whatt hey counter with.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing I would be concerned about is the automatic I really don't like the idea of automatics in trucks larger than a 1 ton. The problems with the automatic is if it ever blows up man is it very expensive to replace the other problems is the auto suck up quite a bit of power that 454 will feel like a 4 banger.

I would look for a diesel truck if you plan on making money with the truck you don't want something that is going to burn alot of fuel. I imagine there is two 45 gallon fuel tanks on the truck you can see burning one of those in 1/2 days worth of hauling.

The local school bus company runs one school bus with the same 7.4 power fuel injected on reg gas that SOB burns allot of fuel they see about 4mpg.

If you can find a truck with diesel power and 6spd it will be a easy truck to drive the 6spds are syncromesh so its like driving a big P/U truck.
  6. landscapingpoolguy

lotta guys around here are running these only cause penske is clearling house on their fleet so lotta guys are buying up their box trucks for nothing and converting them to dumps. They are clean, all highway miles and yea gas burns up but ya gotta remember its not hauling materials all day, more like hauling alotta stuff all at once in one trip. Thats the point of goin with a big truck. More materials that can be moved in less time the faster the project can be done and piad for.=more $$$
  7. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

i just bought one....it is completely upfitted with plow, central hyrdo, salt spreader.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Now that is a TRUCK!

9. landscapingpoolguy

Is that a GMC 6500? IMlooking at one right now with a 14' Grain dump bed.

10. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

yes it is a gmc 6500....