What truck to go with

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BLC1, Feb 25, 2008.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

If you were looking for a truck today, what would make you choose between a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and HD? Can you plow snow with the 1500? I'm looking for some criteria to decide which truck may be right for me.

2. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

well i wouldn't buy a chevy as they don't have a manual tranny

Doge and ford would be my only two choices and dodge has had some reliablity problems in the past that i'm not over yet

Go ford .... it used to be my least favoritre brand...they still build a work truck you can afford and expect to get the life out of.

i would only buy a 3/4 or better truck... and don't own anything less then a 1 ton for work...

just my .02

Nate

3. OhioBobcat125

OhioBobcat125 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

This is a little off topic but does anybody know why Chevy dropped the manual transmission? It seems that would be an important option to people that are going to be hauling alot.

4. ALLoutLandscaping

ALLoutLandscaping LawnSite Member

Wait one second here, first of all the new Automatics in HD trucks are simply amazing. i would not buy a manual in a under 2 ton truck. allison auto tranny's in the chevys are about as close to invinceable as you can get. there are alot of other options, gas vs diesel, cab configurations, applications you are going to use it for, trafic condtions you are in, and finnally the bottom line how much $$$ You want to spend.

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

I would buy ford F250 4X4 good truck there.

6. BLC1

from Ohio

what would keep you from getting a 1500? Can they not handle pulling around trailers all day everyday?

7. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

I’m sure is a good truck. but ford is for me, 10 years all I putted in was a fuel pump. that is built heavy duty.:waving:

8. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

get what meets your needs! look to the future...

9. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

Wait one second here, first of all the new Automatics in HD trucks are simply amazing. i would not buy a manual in a under 2 ton truck. allison auto tranny's in the chevys are about as close to invinceable as you can get. there are alot of other options, gas vs diesel, cab configurations, applications you are going to use it for, trafic condtions you are in, and finnally the bottom line how much $$$ You want to spend.

It may shift great...eat bullets, crap ice cream and not spill your coffee but Chevy has failed to realize that there is potential buys that want or require an stick...

i never have seen a auto live up to the lifespan of a stick under the same conditions.... not to mention the auto robs power/decreases mileage.

plus whats the replacement cost on a 6 speed allision? long after your warrentey is done i bet 2500-4000....

you won't sell me on an auto.... not untill i see a line of them stand the test of time

10. BLC1

from Ohio

I'm trying to figure out what will fit my needs. Thats why I was asking what would make you jump from a 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton to HD to 1 ton.