What Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kelly Lawn, Feb 15, 2004.

1. kelly Lawn

kelly Lawn LawnSite Member

I am looking at buying a newer truck and am debating between a 3/4 ton chevy with the 6.1 liter or a 1/2 ton with the 5.3. The towing compacity on the 1/2 ton is 7500 lbs and my trailor is a dual axil car hauler with a 7000 lbs gvrw. I usually on ly cary lawn equipment( a deck mower and 3 21" push mowers plus what ever miscelaneous). I will be hauling a bob cat once in a while and other lloads like fertiliser or dirt. Should I go with the half ton and save on the gas money in all parts of the year, including when I am at college, or should I go with the 3/4 ton incase I need it in the future?

Any sugestions would help

Thanks

2. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the 3/4 ton, especially if your going to be hauling large loads of fertilizer and dirt.

3. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

I am a technician full time at a chevy dealer. If you are going with a new truck, either one would be fine. I would not buy a '99-'01 model in the 5.3 We have had problems with them using oil. Seems to be corrected after '01. Buy new and you should be OK. I would probably go with the 2500 HD for the long run. You will probably need it in the future.

4. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

3/4 ton.

You won't regret it. That's a pretty big trailer for a 1/2 ton. Although i've seen plenty of 1/2 tons towing skid steers, I wouldn't want to do it.

It's a 6.0 L by the way, not 6.1.

5. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same debate as you last summer. I wanted to go 1/2 ton to save fuel etc but I ended up getting a 2000 3/4 ton GM with the 6.0L V8 and I do not regret it one bit. The power is there for towing, hauling etc and the resale value is better. Sure it guzzles up more fuel but it's a small price to pay to have something there when you need it and you will need a heavy duty truck as you grow. 1/2 tons are fine for light work but are more of a passenger vehichle. If overloaded or you are pulling, they tend to sag.

6. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

The bigger the better. The truck won't have to work as hard and last longer IMO.

7. kelly Lawn

kelly Lawn LawnSite Member

Thank you all for the advice. As you could see from my post, this was my first time using the website and it has prooven very useful. i am convinced to get the 2500 hd but my next question is if I should get the diesel for about an extra six grand on top of an already very pricy truck. How much better will the mileage be and how much more will the maintenance be? I know the resail value will be higher.

Thanks