what trucks get good mpg

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by candk, Nov 18, 2012.

1. candk

candk LawnSite Member

Im looking to wither get a gmc 3500 box truck with a 6.0 8 cylinder engine or a 2005 Isuzu NQR turbo diesel 4 cylinder. I was wondering your all's suggestions and what kind of gas mileage they get.

2. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Hate to say it but if you're looking to get a 1 ton, don't be concerned about gas mileage... you'll have ranges from 6-12MPG or maybe better with the NPR.

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm not sure about the NQR but I used a NPR last winter to go to Dallas and back, got around 7.5 mpg.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. edunigan39

edunigan39 LawnSite Member

Cummins get the best fuel mileage pulling trailers.. but fuel / gas economy all comes down to the throttle and foot control haha

5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I'm pretty sure the new Terra Star's are getting over 9 MPG hauling/towing.

6. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

that chevy can't get more than 6 in the city, 8-9 highway. The 4 cylinder diesel should do much better, up around 10-15mpg would be my guess.

My 06 chevy 2500hd crew cab 6' bed get's 10mpg with the same engine, with the truck unloaded.

-Michael

7. agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

I get 11.8mpg in 2004 isuzu npr hd 4cyl turbo diesel 20ft box . But I'm sure it needs valve set, so that may help.

8. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1996 Cummins 12 valve ram 2500 and get 16-17mpg with winter diesel blend and get around 18-19.5 with summer blend diesel.

Can't speak for the ones your interested in but I can tell you a 1 ton you won't get that good of fuel economy.

9. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

2002 toyota tundra V8 4.7L dual exhaust, volant air intake getting about 15 at best in suburbs w/ no trailer.

10. baldoni

baldoni LawnSite Member
    from SE PA

The nqr would probably use half the fuel as the gas 6 liter. i have a chevy 3500 with 6.5 diesel, it uses very little fuel compared to other trucks.