What type and/or brand of overseeder

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by gleger, Apr 13, 2011.

1. gleger

gleger LawnSite Member

I have for some time now been trying to determine what kind of over-seeder I should get. It's to be used on soil based sports-fields. I'd like it to be used with my 40hp tractor.
    I've seen online some that just have a spike roller which I can't see as being very effective. Others seem to slice or verticut then drop the seed ... I guess they would be called slit seeders.

I have done over-seeding using a walk behind broadcast spreader after aerating and then topdressing with sand. But I'd like a way to over-seed without having to topdress.

I'm sure some you sports-field managers have used some of them ... I'd like you feedback ... both good and bad, on different models with the brand name.

By the way, I'm to far away from any dealers to have any demo's done.

Cheers ... Geo
  2. ToolCatCruzer

ToolCatCruzer LawnSite Member

I've got a turfco 60" pull behind slit-seeder. its a good sized machine to do sport fields. it does a great job laying the seed into the slits and closing them back up.
  3. Deltacare  LLC

Deltacare LLC LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Deltacare  LLC

Deltacare LLC LawnSite Member

Check out redexim.com overseeder 1575. Best overseeder ever for sportsfields.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I have to agree on Redexim. They make some good equipment. It will cost you though. This is something you need to do maximum research on.
  6. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Why not go with an aeravator w/ seed box, you can kill 2 birds w/ one stone aerate w/ out leaving plugs and , or, overseed.?
  7. JJS

JJS LawnSite Senior Member

im picking up a z-plug tomorrow w/ a gandy overseeder/dropbox, plan on using it for some spring overseeding on a few fields
  8. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Let us know how that works. I have heard the slice seeder on the z-plug is ok but not great. I would love to hear it works well as it is a much smaller investment and more versitale than an aeravator and tractor.
    Posted via Mobile Device