What type mower is best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clayslandscape, Jan 30, 2012.

1. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at purchasing a mower.

I have several commercial accounts that have islands that my ZTR will not go. What type mower should I get? Walk behind or Stander?

I have been looking very seriously at a 40" Grandstand by Toro. What do you think?

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

how big are the islands? i would use a 21" if they are small.

3. clayslandscape

They are big enough that it takes a substantial more amount of time with the 21" I use now. That's why I want to upgrade.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

maybe a 36" stander or walkbehind would be best.

5. clayslandscape

Ok, what would be the best thing for getting over the curbs?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Everybody around here uses their ZTR's on the islands, just jump the curb.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

a walkbehind would probably be easier but it's possible with a stander as well. i think on a stander you have to back over the curb but with a walkbehind you can just pop a wheelie and go forwards over a curb. about how big are the islands? if they can be done in like 4-5 passes or less then i'd go with a walkbehind but if it's like 6-10 passes i'd get a stander. if some are smaller you could walk those and use a sulky on the bigger ones if you got a walkbehind. it's hard to say not knowing what the islands look like.

8. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I have taken my stander over curbs before but it seems awful hard on it even going backwards, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

9. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe it would be worth taking a look at the new 30" from toro - I know its not really commercial grade, but it will be almost 50% more productive than a 21 so you should come close to cutting your time in half, if weights 150 lbs and I think a lot easier to get over curbs. It probably a lot less than 1/4 the price.

10. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

I saw a company in the cities. Can't remember which one, but it was near the red robin. Well any way they had ramps made for there exmarks and Deeres. I can't remember which was which, but one had a holder in the back and the other on the side for the ramp when not in use. When going from island to island or when needed to jump curbs often, the operator would just lay the ramp by his feet. Seemed to work well.
    Posted via Mobile Device