What type of advertising works best?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by LawnStars2012, Mar 3, 2014.

1. King_Cooper

King_Cooper LawnSite Member

I printed off 10k flyers and will be going door-to-door and leaving them if no one answers. From what I have read online I expect to get ~100-200 calls and a .25-.5% (25-50 accounts) turn-over rate.

2. jeeperscrow

jeeperscrow LawnSite Senior Member

Hand them out until you're sick and tired of handing them out...then go hand out some more :)

3. chippewaTD

chippewaTD LawnSite Member

Is there a time that in the day that you feel is the most effective?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jeeperscrow

jeeperscrow LawnSite Senior Member

If you're trying to talk to the homeowner then have to wait until the buses run or better yet go out on a Saturday when folks are home knowing there's yard work that needs to be done, but they aren't feeling like doing it!

5. ExmarkBoy

ExmarkBoy LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

DIRECT MAIL!!! I can't believe no one is saying direct mail. You can spend more per prospect with the same overall cost, get a much higher conversion rate, and get way better customers. My dad used to sell radio for many years, and I've thankfully been able to learn a lot about marketing and sales from him. :)

6. ApolloLawnCareL.L.C

ApolloLawnCareL.L.C LawnSite Member

Last year I sent out 7,600 direct mail adds to upper middle class type subs and new construction areas. My return rate was around .003% or about 30 calls. Cost was a little over $2500. I will not be doing direct mail again this year as I have had 30 phone calls from 3000 flyers that I put out and for 10% of the cost of direct mail.

7. ExmarkBoy

ExmarkBoy LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Part of the art of direct mail is the sales content. Not how slick it looks, but content. I'm lucky enough for my dad to be really good with direct mail (he used to sell radio), and I've had response rates of nearly 15%, though usually around 5%-8%.

8. ApolloLawnCareL.L.C

15%? I consider 3% to be a very good return.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Be sure to have a great brochure to pass out or mail out. The main cost is the cost of delivery or passing them out. It costs just as much to pass out a poor quality brochure or flyer as it does to put out a good one. Don't walk 20 miles for 3 customers.

10. ApolloLawnCareL.L.C

I recommend paying company to design your adds. Remember... you are a landscaper not a professional graphic artist