What type of advertising works best?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by LawnStars2012, Mar 3, 2014.

1. ExmarkBoy

ExmarkBoy LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

That sounds really cool!

2. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

Worst case, check craigslist. Give them an area to do and a date. Then go check behind them and pay them. Maybe draw up a contract too.

3. Nicktw25

Nicktw25 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

When you guys hand out flyers are you going up to the door to try to hand it to the customer? Or are you just putting them in the newspaper box?

4. Rivers

Rivers LawnSite Member

What about Craigslist? Do any of you get any good hits off of that or any other classifieds type website?

5. jeeperscrow

jeeperscrow LawnSite Senior Member

Craigslist is where I have gotten about 60% of my new customers this season.

6. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

I place them in the door. I find that putting them anywhere else shows laziness. If anyone puts them on car windshields/doors, newspaper boxes, etc, I don't pay them. Anyone can drive around and shove flyers in a newspaper box, but it shows more that you took the time to walk up to their door and place it in. I get VERY annoyed when people knock on my door, so I don't/won't do it to others.

Craigslist can be good, but you need to be different than the other idiots on there. Cheap ad's/cheap looking ad's attract cheap people. typing too many words will also get you nothing, as no one wants to read your ad for a few minutes. Be creative, and make a few different ad's.

7. jeeperscrow

Actually I have found a longer ad on Craigslist that is very professional with photos gets the best results for me.

8. OPTIMISTIC

OPTIMISTIC LawnSite Member

Posted up a couple CL ads nothing yet.

What information are you guys placing in it? Is it straight text with a picture, full image ad, or? Care to link?

9. jeeperscrow

http://athensga.craigslist.org/fgs/4443683679.html I put up pictures of my work, mention I'm insured, and talk a little bit about what I offer along with listing my website. This shows people first that I do quality work, and second that my work probably isn't the cheapest in town. I've been very fortunate here in the Athens area that basically none of the other services post pictures or have a link to a website or mention being insured. So I have gotten a lot of calls from CL so far this season.

10. Free2013

Free2013 LawnSite Member

I'm trying to get into caring for properties that will be flipped. I'm texting the owners directly. I've just started this today so I'm not sure how it will work.