1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What type of advertising?!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by o it grew landscaping, Jan 18, 2006.

1. o it grew landscaping

o it grew landscaping LawnSite Member

I was just wondering what type of advertising you guys do and which method is the most effective. i recently thought of going to 5-10 doors a week and offering them a free lawn mowing on the terms that i can give them a free monthly estimate. I was wondering if maybe its a good idea or a bad idea, will it make people weirded out or what, i would appreciate any feedback.
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

This has to be a troll. I'll bite anyway. OK sooooo....you'r ebasically going to PAY them to give them an estimate? Uh..k..sounds generous. Tell ya what come on over an give me an estimate every week for the next oh say 10 months.
  3. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Bad Idea!

Yellow Pages and Newspaper ads have worked very well for us.

Thinking of putting out yard signs this year, and lettering on an enclosed trailer if I get the enclosed trailer this year. These would be more for name recognition.

Good luck!
  4. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt do anything for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to figure out what works in your area. For me Yellow Pages is the money maker. I dont have lettering on my truck and I didnt pass out 1 flyer last year, and was booked solid by April.

Ive worked 2 days this month cause all my customers pay monthly.

2004 was my first "professional" year and advertised in all the little B.S. flyers and newspapers and stayed busy, but it was crap work. 2005 I decided to take a chance on the Verizon Superpages. I admit I was nervous at first, cause you commit to it for a year and if it does not work you cannot back out. All I can say is I never regretted it for one second. The customers that use the yellow pages are all good solid customers, the ones that use anything else are just looking for the lowballer........period....

in fact, just today I signed up with the Yellow Book, for the same price I pay in the superpages, I got 2 ads under 2 different headings. 1 for Lawn Maint and the other for sod....Business is going to blow up this year:drinkup:
  5. o it grew landscaping

o it grew landscaping LawnSite Member

the way i figure it, it will take maybe 30 minutes of my day to make their lawn look good, because first impressions are important. gas for the equiptment, maybe 50 cents at the most, and that half hour of labor. im looking around $13.50 each time. if i do that for 10 people, that would be roughly 130.00(not accurate) for the 10 places gas and my time. ok so maybe say just one of those people sign onto a service agreement for lets say 120.00 a month, well i just got a great customer for the year, and it will pay for itself the following month, its a risk, but so is any kind of advertising. it seems to me around here the only best type of advertising is getting your name to the people.
  6. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, you can start by mowing my yard for free.
  7. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

You can't be serious. :dizzy:
  8. justinslawncare

justinslawncare LawnSite Member

i agree. bad idea. if u want to give them something free try prices discounted if they sign a contract by a certain date, or after so many of whatever services u offer the next one for them would be free but only if the signed a contract.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

1 for free and 120 a month after.

O it Grew----look hard at that
    Ask yourself---Self, did I do a business plan? Should I???
  10. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

triger a few hoods and pass out flyers....thats what i do and seems to work b.c 99.9% of the time the people at least look at it b4 the throw it away....