what type of boots??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jarred's Lawn Care, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Jarred's Lawn Care

Jarred's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

What type of boots or shoes is everyone wearing? Should i go cheap or invest in a good pair?:dizzy:
  2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

There was a thread about Redwings a year or so ago. Mine sucked, everyone else liked them. At well over $200 they are too pricey in my opinion. I just bought some Roebucks (at sears) for $60. Isn't it funny how they feel great at the store but after 2 days of working in them you realize how imperfect they are?
  3. Jarred's Lawn Care

I hear you, i bought a pair of cheap boots in the begining of the season and there useless now
  4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Invest in a good pair, preferrably steeltoe and a good heavy leather and good traction soles, assuming you are talking about wearing them for mowin, trimming, etc. Boots are nothing to skimp on. FYI, I wear a pair of military combat steeltoe boots (the only bad thing is lack of traction in wet hilly situations). Although, my next pair of boots will NOT have laces (takes too much time to put on because I have to unlace and relace them everytime I take them on and off). Also, if you get a good leather boot, try not to wear them for more than an hour a day for the first few days. This will decrease the liklihood of blisters as well as help the leather to form to your foot.
    P.S. Never let somebody "borrow" your leather boots. Unless you are lucky, their feet will mess up the form of your leather and cause you blisters. They'll never be the same again.
  5. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I wear Wolverine DuraShocks steel-toed boots myself, I have owned Redwings and other quality boots, but the wolves fit me the best. Go with a good pair that fits your foot. Not what everybody else wears.

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear heavy full lenght boots year round. Either Chippewa or Wolverine's. I have found that they last and give better support than other brands. I tried Rockys once. They did not last a month. I do not scrimp when it comes to my feet.
  7. Jarred's Lawn Care

i would like a pair that are low cut steal toe and light weight, so i can wear with shorts. any ideas?
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I won't recommend a brand but I will tell you to spend as much on your boot as you possably can. Your feet are your #1 tool a $500 trimmer 0r 6K walk behind useless if you can't walk!

Merry Christmas All

9. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Red wings should be on sale for Chrismas. I got a $200 pair out the door for about $180. And I think they are worth it. They are water proof. Only took a day are 2 to break in, where they didnt bother me. Usally I have to bring the old pair for a week are 2 til I can I can break them in good enough to not hurt my feet.
  10. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Carolina makes a good pair of low cut, brown leather, steel toe. I've bought 3 pairs so far. $150 was the most, then I found them for $60 on clearance the last time.

Carolina, and few other make some nice steel toe hiking shoes. Not like the old High School custodian shoes, kind of resemble a pair of Columbia's. They looked like they had more traction. I would have bought them the last time, but couldn't find the right size.