What type of compressor is everyone using 4 blowouts

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mdirrigation, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I was wondering what others are using , and if they rent or buy? I have been running a smith 45 cfm , and a ingersol rand 125 cfm , and just picked up a linsey 80 cfm , all tow behinds .

2. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Rent ours, use two Ingersol Rand 185s for a month, and Smith 150 for a temporarly 3rd for just a week. The IngersolRand was a cadillac compared to the Smith 150. The IngersolRand had no problems with a 4" main that was 2500 feet long. Had the psi at 140, and took about 20 mins to blow just the main line.

3. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

After also renting - We finally made a decision to invest in an IR Gas Compressor with a 13hp Honda, 30 gallon tank. pushing 27cfm's. FOr the past 2 years many guys in my area have gone this way verses the big investment in tow behinds. It has been proven that these work well. We keep the pressure at 80 psi and we are able to blow out runs up to 1500' of 1 1/4 pipe.

4. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Rented for years, and 2 years ago bought a GrimmerSchmidt 125 cfm tow behind. Was only 2 yrs. old with only 90 hrs., I can't imagine winterizing without it versus renting and trying to jam them all into a certain time frame! Just finished a large cemetary system with 2" main this morning and it works like a charm, regulate psi at about 50-55 psi and let it do it's thing!

5. Mdirrigation

Aquamatic , the towbehinds can be found at a good price at auctions , my 125 ingersol with a diesel and 700 hours was $ 1100.00 , my linsey has 800 hours on a gas for $ 600.00 , and my smith was 500.00 . They pay for themselves in a day or two at the most . A hose reel is a must , I have 200 feet on each machine , it saves a lot of time . i have a Ingersol like you described on a sealcoat machine , I have used it to blow out sprinklers when we are swamped , but it is very slow compared to the tow behinds .

6. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

MD- You have been lucky to find those at them prices. Unfortuntely here in RI and MA I cant seem to even find an auction that has them The rental centers at times will sell out, but they are all beat up equipment just under what they cost new.

7. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We use a 17gal. Dewalt with 8 h.p. Honda and put in the pickup box. 18 cfm and works great.

8. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Ditto..almost, I have never used anything larger than an 8hp w/20gal tank. No need to tow anything...just load it in the truck and go. If needed we can take it out and walk it right up to the connector and "Get-Er-Done".

I dont get why people have to use like the IR tow units..seems like major over kill to me.

9. Mdirrigation

Why? electric start and I can blow out 6 zones at once on a residential , any size commercial . Plus the sight and sound of the machine gets me the neighbors on either side . Its another billboard for advertising also.

10. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

You kidding me right ?? You have a tow behind for residential systems ??

Im not knocking what you have ok, just seems like way too much power for small residential work that does not net $$$ like commercial accounts would.