What type of gas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chwsmith13, Apr 24, 2005.

1. chwsmith13

chwsmith13 LawnSite Member
    from usa

Hi. I am wondering what type of gas eveyone uses for their mowers. Are some gases better for riders and some better for push mowers?

Which is the best gas to use. No alcohol , regular, or say bp ultimate.
  2. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I always run 91 Octane or higher. Esso is 92 and I can get Ultra 94 from Sunoco. Shell and Petro Canada are 91's. Some ppl say its overkill but I run it still...I also run it in my mix for the handhelds.
  3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Used to run just regular unleaded without any problems. Avoid gasohol though, tore up the carbs on some two cycle stuff. Wasn't hard to fix, just time consuming.
  4. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Strictly 10% ethanol in ALL equipment. Have never had any problems. Ran in everything from day one. Gotta support the farmers!
  5. Freshcut Lawn Care

Freshcut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Regular Gas for mowers, but mid-grade for blowers, trimmers and the like! :cool:
  6. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

89 octane in everything ,shell gas for some reason ,everything runs better on that brand for me
  7. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

87 in 4 cycle & 89 in 2 cycle.
    Using higher in 4 cycle mowers is a waste of money, compression ratios don't require higher. :waving:
  8. FLD

FLD LawnSite Member

Premium gas only in air cooled engines. The higher the octane the better. The higher the octane the cooler the plug you can run and still get all the power (complete combustion). The cooler the flame the cooler the engine and that is the key to long life of an air cooled engine. Mid-grade is just blended reg and premium. if you use a lower octane gas, the to get the same power (combustion), you have to run a hotter plug, and the engine runs hotter.
  9. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

91 in the 2-stroke and #2 diesel in the mower!