1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What Type of Grass Seed to Plant

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Joseph Meidling, May 2, 2001.

1. Joseph Meidling

Joseph Meidling LawnSite Member

I need a recommendation as to what type of grass seed to plant. This will be for a front lawn approx. 75'X 50', sun most of the day. I will be spreading about 3" of top-soil through out. I hope this is enough information.
  2. Catcher

Catcher LawnSite Member

Take a soil sample to your local Landscape/ Gardening center and have them analyze it. Just dressing the area with top soil doesn't guarantee optimized conditions. They will advise you on how to prep the area properly and can make a good recommendation for seed-types and fertilization etc.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the easiest thing would be to find the better looking lawns and ask them what their grass is.

BLLSCO LawnSite Member

It can all depend on what area and state you live in. There can be a varity of different typs of grass for what area you live in. What state do you live in?
  5. Joseph Meidling

Joseph Meidling LawnSite Member

I live in North West New Jersey.
  6. A 50-50 blend of blue and rye would be best.
  7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I live in Northern NJ. I am using (for the most part) a blend of Perrenial Rye, Kentucky Blue, and Fescue. This seems to do well under most conditions.
    I am no expert on seed variety, but since nobody has explained why to use a blend I will explain briefly. If you only have 1 type of grass growing in your yard and conditions become unfavorable for that breed (bug damage, drought stress, fungus, not enough light) the other varieties will still strive and you will still have a lawn. With this blend I have described the rye will germinate the fastest and fill in in 5-10 days, while the bluegrass can take 3 weeks.

Hope this helps you out.