1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What type of grass to plant

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scholzee, Jul 28, 2005.

1. scholzee

scholzee LawnSite Member
    from NY

I live in Buffalo, NY and just had a septic system replaced, I need to seed an area about 50' x 75' that gets sun from sun up until about 6 pm. My current grass is nothing special has a fair amount of weeds and I do not know what type it is. I know its not the best time to grow but want something to help keep the soil in place. We have mostly clay soil but put 2 " of topsoil on top the area I want to seed. My grass blades are a max of 1/4 inch thick and I currently keep them 3 1/2" cut. Any tips or places to get info on planting grass is appreciated !! thanks for all replies!!
  2. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with a mixture of bluegrass and tall turftype fescue..also toss in about 30% ryegrass just to get a good start to the project. The rye will be up in a week or so and the blue/fescue in 3 weeks. that way you have green right away and the blue/fescue for the long term..